From:
Katherine Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 1993 09:42:58 -0400
> 1) How do we keep ferrets reasonably cheerful during summer? I'm away from
> home and my fiance's brother is taking care of the fuzzies for us. He reports
> that they do not romp as often and that their food intake has halved. We do
 not
> have air conditioning, though we do use a fan and keep the venetian blinds
> shut. Any suggestions for ways to keep them cooler?

Geri,

Your ferrets cutting their food intake is a reasonable response to the
heat -- if they are not as active, they don't need as many calories.  Tell
your brother to make sure they get PLENTY of water.  The fan is good; make
sure the ventilation is good, too.  I'd suggest wetting a towel, wringing
it out, and laying that over the top of the cage as one idea.  He should
keep a close eye on them for signs of distress.  I'm sure others will have
suggestions, too.

Can't help you with flea powder, having no experience with it.  As for
wood shavings, the consensus is don't use them.  Cedar chips have a
volatile oil that some animals are allergic to, and wood chips in general
has dust that can cause respiratory problems.  If you MUST use chips, it
should be dust-free.

> Subject: Re: Ferret List Issue 520
> Date:   Thu, 15 Jul 1993 13:40:35 -0400
> From:   Nancy Hartman <[log in to unmask]>

[deletions]

> It's the actual insertion that causes the female to ovulate.  So
> you need a vasectomized hob who can do the job.  (they still have all the
> necessary working parts, just the semen can't make it all the way)

A vasectomy doesn't affect the semen output -- it severs the connection to
the sperm ducts.  A vasectomized hob has semen -- there just isn't any
sperm in it!

Katie, Jeff, Bandit, Molly, Charlie, Pogo & Sigmund