From:
Katherine Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 1993 09:56:39 -0400
> Subject: Update: female zoo ferret in heat
> Date:   Wed, 14 Jul 1993 14:49:53 -0400
> From:   [log in to unmask]

[deletions]
> My SO is also a zoo keeper, and through her I found that the plan of action
> at the zoo is to keep the jill with a pair of castrated hobs.  The idea is
> that this will cause a false pregnancy, thus bringing her out of estrus.
> In "Biology and Diseases of the Ferret" (page 187) Fox mentions keeping
> a female ferret with vasectomized hobs is an option for preventing prolonged
> estrus.  Will castrated hobs have the same affect?

Leonard,

This won't help.  The jill needs to be spayed or given an HGC shot, or
placed with a vasectomized hob.  One question that remains to be answered
-- what the heck is a domestic ferret doing in a zoo, anyway????

> Moki loves to torment
> two of the cats - chasing them around the house, even up their 4 tiered
> scratching post (who said ferrets can't climb?).

You won't ever hear that from me -- two of my five ferrets are serious
climbers!

> But Moki's favorite cat
> "game" is to run up to the cat, leap onto its back, and ride the cat
> around the house.  Seriously.  She does this whenever she catches up
> to the cat she's chasing.  Usually she falls off after the cat runs
> out of the room, but she's hung on for a complete circuit through the
> house (until we pulled her off the cat to keep either from getting
> injured).  She doesn't bite the cats (ever), she just hangs on with
> her fore paws.

I'm sure the cat doesn't appreciate it, but this story made me laugh and
laugh!

> From:   [log in to unmask] (Roger D. McMillian)
> Subject: Issue 519

[deletions]
> Fortunately for us, the only flooding we've been experiening of late has been
> the flood of rumours and innuendo in the wake of Mary's resignation as shelter
> director. Fortunately, the majority of the people hearing these rumours have
> had the decency to call and get the straight facts on the matters and I have
> posted in clarifications in rec.pets as well.

Roger,

How about posting a clarification here, too?

> I also have a BBS in NC that will soon be carrying it and
> acting as a gateway to WWIVnet.  Looking into a possible gateway to
> Internet or
> GEnie. (Probably Genie since Internet already has a great ferret outlet.

Roger, GEnie already has an Internet gateway, as Chip Gallo and Bill
Gruber have explained in the past.  Go for the Internet gateway -- that
way, you'll have the widest possible audience, from GEnie, CompuServe,
Delphi and America OnLine, all of which have Internet connections.

> Did you tell your vet about Fervac-D? It's approved especially for ferrets.
> It's from United Vaccines.

I know that Fervac-D is approved for ferrets, but I keep hearing stories
about ferrets having reactions to it.  Does anyone have any further
information about this?  I know Pam Grant of Pet Pals/STAR*Ferrets was
collecting data on this.  My vet uses Fromm-D from Solvay.

Katie, Jeff, Bandit, Molly, Charlie, Pogo & Sigmund
Katie Fritz
Small Mammals Section Leader/CompuServe Pets Forum
Internet: [log in to unmask]  CIS: 71257,3153