From:
Kait Mayszak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 2008 05:56:06 +0000
This is my first article to the FML but have been a reader for over a
year. I just wanted to stress how important it is to vaccinate your
ferrets for distemper. Unfortunitly, I have learned the hard way.
This week, i have lost two of my four ferrets to this deadly virus.

Charlie was only with me for 6 six weeks and crossed over the bridge
at only 4 months. I put him down after I learned he had been diagnosed
with canine distemper. All the vets I have talked to seem to think I
bought him from the pet store already having the virus. Sadly, my
story doesn't end here. Because it is airborne, the virus is extremely
contiguous, my Chester contracted it as well. He crossed over the day
after Charlie. My two girls, Darla and Laila are both not showing signs
of distemper, but because it has a up to 21 day incubation period,
we're not in the clear yet. They were moved to a different room for a
couple day while I disinfected their cage and all their toys to take
all the precaution I could. I can now only hope they will be ok. The
day after Chester passed, they were both vaccinated for distemper.

Please, know if you don't think you need to vaccinate your ferrets,
you are wrong. This virus is preventable. Don't let this situation
happen to you because it can wipe out a whole clan of ferrets.

Kait
In loving memory of Sofie, Charlie, and Chester