From:
Lee McKee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 1997 07:38:37 +0400
On Tue, 14 Oct 1997, Kathy Rich wrote to the FML:

>Does anyone know of a way to get a ferret to stop eating cloth?

Errata was a terrible cloth eater, and she still seems to supplement her
diet with an occasional high (cotton) fiber snack.  It was at the point I
thought I would make her bulemic with all the Laxatone I was giving her.

I noticed that she seemed to eat cloth mostly when she was bored, had just
woke up, was put in her cage for time out, or hadn't eaten in a while.  I
also noticed that when she was chewing, she had this dreamy, glazed-over
look.  I think that her cloth eating was some sort of nursing carry-over,
like when cats suck their paws or blankets.  Makes me feel sorry for mama
ferrets =-0

Below is a list of things I tried.  We were also working on biting "issues"
at the time.  She's no longer a biter, and she chews only once in a great
while.  I don't know what finally worked--probably a combination of
everything.  It took about three months.

-- as soon as I woke her up, I would hold her a few minutes, and pet and
massage her.  Then I would put her back in the cage between the food bowl
and the litterbox and not let her out unless she had used one of those
items.  If she went back to bed, I would take her out again and repeat the
process.

-- I sprayed her cage bedding with Bitter Apple.  Please let the bedding
air-dry at least half an hour before putting in in with the ferrets--the
fumes will hurt their eyes and noses.  You just want the taste to remain.

-- When she took a nap out in the room, I would put her back in the cage.

-- If she started chewing during play time, I would take her in my arms and
hand-feed her a few kibbles, then put her in front of the food bowl for a
good meal.  If she had already eaten, I would play tug-o'-war or catch with
her.

-- Taking a foster ferret in really broke Errata's chewing for a while.  I
guess the disruption kept her so busy and interested that she didn't have
time to chew.  The downside was that the foster taught the girls new places
to poop.

-- Until you feel confident about her training, lock away your blouses and
secure your drawers (!)

Hey, here's a question--has anyone ever had a MALE cloth-eater?

-- Lee, one of the Massachusetts Ferret Friends
   For ferret care and adoption info in Massachusetts, contact MaFF at
   (781) 224-1098      <[log in to unmask]>        http://www.maferrets.org
DON'T FORGET! Massachusetts Ferret Friends' Second Annual
  HALLOWEEN FERRET FROLIC, 10/26, in Natick MA
To have a ticket form emailed to you, contact <[log in to unmask]>

-- Lee