From:
Nancy Stephens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 13:11:17 -0400
I just thought I would let everyone know that I received 2 replies, plus
Marsha's on Thursday's FML.  Of the 4 ferrets, all of them exhibited
aggression.  (That's one I forgot to mention in Popcorn's case)

Here's a summary of the two I received:

Thelma - Age 3 exhibited other ferret aggression, even to her cagemate with
whom she formerly got along with.  Other adrenal symptoms present.  Adrenal
surgery, but symptoms never reversed, psychological or physical.

Lucy - "Lucy needed to be caged by herself during the last 6 months of her
life.  She was an aggressive terror to any other ferret.  She was NOT like
that when she entered the shelter.  3 adrenal surgeries, and lysodren did
not help. ... Lucy just recently passed.  The sweetest little girl any
human could ever ask for."

So, it appears that (with this small subset), it is usually other
ferret/pet aggression, with the ferret continuing to be super-sweet to her
humans.  In Popcorn's case, she continued to get along with Graham just
fine.  However, she did start attacking the dogs.  Completely unprovoked,
she would see them across the room and embark upon a compulsive vendetta to
nip their ankles.  The poor dogs got so that they would see her and jump up
on the furniture and sit perfectly still, watching her carefully.  If she
got near, they would jump down and switch pieces of furniture.

What really amazed me in Popcorn's case, was that as well conditioned as
she had the dogs (they would jump up on the furniture as soon as they saw
her, before she even saw them), as soon as the Lupron started working, they
went right back to the old routine of letting her approach and sniff them.
Even following her around and sniffing her, just like the old days.  I
thought that was really interesting.  The dogs could SENSE that she had
changed.

- Nancy

-----
Nancy Stephens