From:
Melissa Warren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 20:49:52 -0500
>From:    Alicia Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
>It is a sad time for those ferret friends in MA.  The one thing most of you
>probably don't know is tyhat even with police pressing charges, even with
>documantation and loaws which recognize ferrets as pets-- the harsh reality
>is in MA there is a misdemeanor charge for animals cruelty...

This is along the lines of the MA murders and the link between violence
toward animals and humans.  There is a bill that was introduced to Congress
outlining that there is a link between the two, and it calls for the
creation of research and treatment programs for those offenders.  The site
to read about the bill is

www.aspca.org/issues/govern.htm#recent

You must scroll down to see the bills.  It also has a list of other
important animal right bills.

Although we shouldn't have to write Congress to allow our wishes to be
known, I am planning to write my Congressman urging the rapid acceptance of
this bill.

In Alabama, animal cruelty is a misdemeanor as well.  I plan to add in my
letter that I feel it should be a felony.  Why it isn't in every state is
beyond me.  The link between violence against animals and humans is obvious.
Maybe if we could get the animal abuse to a felony we would save countless
lives, animal and human.

Anyway, I just wanted to offer the website.  Whatever you do with it is up
to you.

Melissa Warren