From:
"Capt. Nodrog" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 10:16:43 -0500
I have seen on occasion of people posting here of errors they have made
that have either resulted in the total loss of a fuzz butt or one of very
damaging consequences.  It is hard to owe up to making such an event caused
by one self, but a gift to all of us here who read and learn from the
errors of others that pets can have a better and safer environment.

One time I also did an innocent act that nearly resulted in the loss of
my favorite carpet shark, had set a love seat down on her neck not knowing
she tried to run back under and thoughtlessly had not watched for her
whereabouts when doing that.  Lesson learned!

An event related here once raised concern here, and that was where someone
was using dry beans for something where the fert had access to them.  THe
hairy speed bump ate some of the legumes, ended up with intestinal
blockage, and nearly died.  Another costly but innocent error.  On that
note, one must be careful what the animal is exposed to.  I have seen
people talk of using rice, macaroni, and other food stuffffs for the ferts
to play in.  Lets look at that a moment.  All these are inexpensive items
that can be had in bulk for a few dollars.  Sure, the ankle biter will
have a ball playing in there, but what if they are ingested?  THese all
swell in moisture.  That is what will happen in the gutz.  Not sure how the
chemistry is on a hammock dweller's digestive system, but legumes are the
most nutritious food man can eat, but not really that good for the animal.
Legumes are a very difficult item to digest where they grow in hard lean
soil, the seed is full of all good things to jump start the new plant.
But, there are 3, 4, and 5 ring sugars that cannot be digested therefor
they sit in the warm moist colon, ferment, make gas, and.... well, if there
is a blockage this gas will cause an extremely painful death.  Legumes are
NOT recommended for a ferret to play in for that reason.  Nor are other
moisture absorbing (thus swelling) food item.

Just some comments so we don't make innocent errors at the expense of our
fur kids.

Gordon, Byte-me, & Nibble-ed