From:
Camilla Englund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 05:31:44 PDT
I really like the way you put it, Matthew!!

>...it should also be used only on ferrets who are biting because of
>dominance issues, and never on fear biters.  it is in *some cases* the
>best way to demonstrate dominance.  you scruff, tap gently on the nose
>with the flat underside of your fingers, and say "no!" firmly in a deep
>voice while maintaining eye contact- staring the ferret down.

The few times I feel the need to discipline for a "nasty" bite I give back
what I get.  I figure that when a ferret tries to dominate you or are
testing the limits, you need to speak his/her language.  So I bite back!
Instead of scruffing with my hand I scruff with my teeth.  (Sometimes
adding a normal scruff by the hand with a bite to the ear, and/or blowing
gently in the face.) Then I hold the ferret up by my hand and look at
him/her and say NO or NO BITING or something like that in a firm voice,
holding still for a couple of seconds.  Then I give a few cuddles so he/she
knows I'm not angry and then back to whatever we were doing.

With my first, Ozzy, we were trying thumping the nose among other things.
In retrospect it might have been lucky that we rarely caught him after all
of those "nip and runs".  Now, a little more experienced, I'd say what
worked with him was more playtime than anyone had told us was possible, a
buddy to play even more with, and a LOT of loving.  He's still sometimes a
little hyper and nippy, but I only need to scruff him lightly and look him
in the eye for him to calm down and start to lick my hand, showing me he
didn't mean it.

>...discipline should be gentle, firm and prompt, and i agree that it is
>entirely wrong to beat a child or a pet for a misbehaviour, but all
>animals are different and different methods work with different pets, and
>with some pets gentle firm physical discipline can work wonders.

Thank you!! Exactly my wiew!!

Millan (I'm Alpha here!)
Ozzy (But I'm ALWAYS a good boy, mommy!)
Obelix (I'm also a good boy, see, I'm grooming you, not biting... [two
minutes later]...Oh, you wanted me to let go? Should have said so
immediately.)
Phoebe (But I'm the dominant female here! ...Oh, I see, you're bigger.
Okey, YOU'RE the dominant female here!)