From:
paul england <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jul 1998 06:59:08 PDT
hello everyone..  i have a problem with my ferret(chewy) when i purchased
her in december from the pet shop she was supposed to be spayed and
descented (of course) but recently i noticed that her vagina was swollen
up.  I immediatley to her to the vet.  He said that she was in fact in
heat.  They must have missed a little tissue when they done the procedure
when she was little..

anyhow.  the vet told me, he has seen it happen several times before and
sometimes it will just go away.  but explained to me that if she started
acting weird to bring her back and they will have to do one of three things.
One to breed her, put her on some sort of pet birth control pill, or three,
we went home hoping everything would be alright but the last few days she
has gotten very leagarthic..  instead of playing when out she just lays
there..  not eating.  or anything..

I took her to the vet yesterday and she had lost 6 ounces.  Talked to
another vet at the vet's animal hospital..(mine was off for the weekend)..
She gave me some amoxicillin(antibiotics) and some hi-vite to give to her
twice a day and on monday she will get with dr. griffin my usual vet and
see what he wants to do..  she said they can do the animal birth control(it
has some sort of side effects), do the operation(that's what the medicine
was for, to help boost her up just in case), or possibly give her some
hormones to get rid of the estrogen b/c to much estrogen will kill a
ferret..

I cannot stand the thought of losing my ferret over something like this.
could you please let me know if any of you have ever had this problem and
what was done about it?  I would feel some much better with someone giving
advice on this..thanks a bunch...

paul and the four fun-addicts

chewy--"Do you want to see how i got my name?"
girl--"ok, where are my damn treats"
goofy--"I promise dad, I didn't steal your shoes"
Freak--"If I am up, everyone in the house will be also"