From:
Cathy Mallette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 06:44:24 -0400
Hello all,

I have been reading the FML for almost three months now.  I would like to
make some comments, offer some suggestions, and ask some questions.

COMMENTS:
[1] I have been owned by ferrets since 1986 and can't imagine being
without them.  I have had Silver Mitts and a Sable.  I would love to
have more.  But, alas, I am aware of what I can handle financially should
major expenses arise.

I envy some of you because you have such amazing experiences with your
fuzzies.  I guess mine are laid back.  My first one was all ferret,
nipping my toes, war-dancing, hiding everything he found or "stole", and
all the fun stuff - and was a great little guy - NEVER missed the litter
box once he commanded where it should be placed.

But my current ferrets don't play a lot.  They like their tunnels, and
inspect new boxes and paper bags.  But they aren't interested in new
games or being dragged around on blankets or many other games I've tried.
They don't like foamy fries, yogies, cheweasels, or any other treats --
Just their nutrical, ferretone, and laxative.  They do like being loved
and give plenty of kisses.  They get lots of playtime, love, their
vaccinations, good food, fresh water, toys, sleeping places, etc.
They're active.  They just lose interest very quickly.  Any ideas?

[2] The "bickering", negativity and even hostility I read in some
messages is very discouraging to newcomers.  I have learned a lot since
reading the postings and enjoy the knowledge and the stories, funny and
sad.  I have also used the great links provided.  BUT some subjects
seemed to drag on way too long.  I guess, with over 2000 readers, there
are many opinions and they all deserve equal time.  It must be a very
difficult role to be the moderator.  (Hats off to you BIG.)

The point is EVERYONE has an OPINION.  It would be nice if they were
tactfully expressed as simply opinions without downing others or jumping
down their throats.

SUGGESTIONS:
[1] Someone mentioned how the syringes for feeding or administering meds
can "clog causing them to spray too much at once" causing choking.  If
you rinse it thoroughly after use, then pull the plunger in and out a
couple times, and leave it drawn back with some air in it, it will be
easier to use the next time by expressing the air first before re-using
it.  This has always worked for me.

[2] Someone asked about cage liners.  I have researched some websites and
found them to be a bit costly.  I did purchase some ramp covers but they
are difficult to attach.  I also had trouble finding the cage covers in
the right shape for my cage.  What I decided to try, which works well,
was to buy some cotton baby diapers and sew them in the shape I needed.
They are soft, washable, and conform nicely.  A simple snap attachment
tool bought in any fabric department can be used for inserting the
eyes/rivets for attaching them to the cage.

QUESTIONS:
[1] What are Waardenburg's markings?

[2] What is a blaze and are they always deaf?  How do you tell if a
ferret is deaf and not just ignoring you?

[3] Is it possible to take a ferret's blood sugar using a human
glucometer since theirs run similar to ours?  I have one where you can
adjust the "stick" to light or deep.  I'm sure they wouldn't like it,
but it wouldn't be frequent, and I am knowledgeable enough to know the
bleeding would need to be controlled.  I personally think it may be
better than the way the vets do it.  ( Please answer kindly - it's just
a question.)

[4] Someone asked a while back how the Sandee thing got started.  I don't
believe I ever saw a response.  Care to enlighhten me?  Hats off to
Sandee's human for keeping it all together.  Sorry about the inability
to continue.

Thanks all.

CEM

Cathy Mallette