From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 1995 11:07:23 CST
Hello, I need more information on heartworm.  I've heard you guys say that you
can use a tablet or a liquid (which your doctor needs to make for you).  Hmmm,
our doctor gives us this stuff which I can best describe as a big pancake of
peat moss.  It is kind of a brown stringy, mushy square bar which we break
pieces off of and feed to the babies and (I wish I could remember the exact
amount but it has been a year since we last did this) and we have to give it
to them several/a few times over a period of a month or more at start of
mosquito season (about now.) It is always a big pain in the butt because they
end up running off and hiding this thing somewhere.  Some of the babies really
love it and others hate it so invariably somebody steals the other ones and we
have to chase them around the house so nobody overdoses, etc.  Also the pieces
are rather large and take awhile for the babies to eat - so the whole
procedure is quite lengthy - and we do it for a few weeks as I remember.  So -
all in all - I would MUCH RATHER just give them some liquid and have it be
done with.  Does the liquid or tablet form have to be administered several
times?  Our doctor also requires complete blood work before prescribing this
med.  She says that they must confirm they don't have heartworms before
medicating - because the medication can be fatal if they have heartworm?
True?  It seems like our babies are getting CBCs 3-4 times per year.  If they
get a bad cold and we need amoxi - the vet does blood work, during their
yearly exam the vet does blood work, heart worm season - bloodwork, etc etc.

My opinion on the length of FML - I enjoy every word of it - I hope that it
is not limited.

Thanks, Charlene