From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jan 2010 00:35:13 -0500
I am pretty sure Kim has spoken for many people on this list with her
criticism of this needless ferret death, myself included. It is an
amazement to me that Kim has gotten more criticism than the person who
foolishly let her ferret be fatally injured. She had angry words to say
because the incident *angered* her. It angered me, as well. I am sure
we are not the only two.

Many ferret keepers have made fatal mistakes, which were accidents,
but were nonetheless their fault. We post our mistakes on here wanting
empathy when we mess up, and I would not argue with that. But no one
ever seems to want to take anybody's anger about it, either. Well,
that's not reality.

We're told we shouldn't "judge" people. Really? Well, we judge the
world *outside* our community pretty severely when *it* messes up. I
don't know how many angry words I have read.. viscious, scathing words
about people who have abused or neglected ferrets outside of this
community. And rightly so. So, when someone *inside* this community
does something foolish, causing the death of a ferret, why should
*they* be immune? Because they *know* about ferrets? That should make
them *more* accountable for their actions and the subsequent reactions
they receive, not less.

And make this a "learning experience?" For who? Certainly not the dead
ferret. If that ferret had survived the mishandling it received, all
it would have learned is not to trust humans. We are shepherds for the
animals under our care. Having these children experience ferrets to
"help" should have been a low, low priority - making sure the ferrets
were safe and supervised should have been the top priority. Isn't that
the point of rescuing ferrets - to make sure that they are safe, first
and foremost? If you are rescuing ferrets, then at this point you
should not need this kind of "learing experience." Kim has said enough
about this. I don't need to go further.

We call everything an "accident," but sometimes it's simply being
foolish and irresponsible. If you do something foolish and
irresponsible, *and you post about it*, be prepared to take your lumps.
This self-righteous indignation annoys me. There will be people to give
you empathy, always. And there will be some like me who are *not* so
sympathetic. Deal with it, like we all do. It's reality. It's
survivable.

There's a point to feeling guilty and ashamed when you do something
foolish - to make sure it resides in you so you will not do this
foolish thing again. Maybe you should let yourself experience those
feelings for awhile, instead of expecting *everyone* to be empathetic.
Feelings and words, criticism and empathy - none of this will bring the
ferret back. This is probably what you should be trying to remember,
not trying to forget so quickly.

[RZ]