From:
Darrin Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 2004 23:48:26 +1000
I responded to too someone in the last few weeks who had been
experiencing hairloss on the shoulders of their ferret, and I mention
that one of our ferrets who had suffered from "rickets" (and therefore
her body was often too big for her bone structure), she often "rubbed"
her elbows and knees against her belly and lost fur at the "rubbing"
points..

This usually only happened during the summer/winter weight gain/loss
periods.. and the fur usually started growing back within a few days.

I suggested at the time, that if it didn't start growing back again
soon , that there may be a problem..  but forgot to say, that there
are many other things that "may" cause fur loss in patches..

If the fur doesn't start to grow back, or the skin looks "red" or
"irritated" (fur loss usually seems to simply result in "pink skin" where
the fur is gone, rather then redness etc), so, if not, then you all may
have to think about the possibilities of mites/fleas/skin irritations
caused by household chemicals/ or allergies....or other things that
should be seen by a vet.

we have had "patches" of boldness due to rubbing, and sudden shedding,
and excessive scratching..... so it does seem to be normal on occasions,
however, those sorts of "baldness" episodes usually start to regrow in a
few days..

I just thought I should point out that, although you shouldn't normally
worry (unless it is on the tail, or redness or scaly patches occur) ,
then , I still may have been remiss in saying that there can be many
causes of bald patches, and if they don't clear up within a short period,
it would still be a good idea to see your vet.

Darrin