From:
Danica Densa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Aug 1995 17:26:21 -0500
Hello everyone!

First of all, I would like to say I'm soory to everyone who has lost a
little one recently. I have to admit many of the posts have made me cry. I
am very sorry.

Since Ed mentioned the store Pass Pets, I would like to mention the ordeal
they put me through as a new ferret owner. We bought Frankie our first
ferret there. (We now have five.) The bunch of ferrets they had where in a
glass aquarium covered on the bottom with CEDAR SHAVINGS!!!! Poor little
Frankie was just sneezing her head off. I asked the clerk there what we
should use on her cage at home. He said CEDAR SHAVINGS!!! (Can we all see
where this is headed?) So not knowing anything, that's what we bought for
her. In fact, the ferret kit came with them. I beleive it was a Hagen kit,
something with an H at least. Anyway, the guy said she was sneezing because
sometimes the dust gets in their noses. We had her for a week, and she got
worse and worse, sneezing all the time. I swear I thought we were going to
lose her. We went to the vet and the vet thought she might have distemper
with the way she was behaving. Of course before I left I mentioned the
cedar shavings and she figured out thAT was causing Frankie's ailment. She
was on amoxiccillin for a week, and is all better.

I called Pass pets and they basically ignored me. They said they would stop
keeping them in the shavings. Come to find out later from a friend who went
in there they still had them in cedar shavings! I called them and asked
them what would be the best thing to keep my ferret in. I was told cedar
shavings worked fine. I was furious then. I told the girl about Frankie and
how I had called and told them that she almost died because of their
ignorant clerk. I got the name of the District manager and was told by him
that that is what the ferrets are shipped in and if thats the case, there
must be nothing wrong with it! He also happened to tell me that I was not
the only "concerned" individual, that he has had Purdue vet students voice
their opinion on the matter also.

I go back on occasion, and I haven't seen them use any, but I can't be
there everyday. So who knows if they still do. Did anyone have a copy of
the article about why not to use any shavings period. I would like to have
a copy so if I ever catch them again, I can send this DM the article. It's
been about six months since my last encounter with them. Of course they
didn't offer to pay for Frankie's vet bill!

I also have another question. I have been treating my fuzzies for ear mites
with this stuff called OTOMITE. (Active ingredientsPyrethrins 0.05%,
Technical Piperonyl Butoxide ).05%) It has been almost 3 1/2 weeks and they
still have them, any other suggestions. I don't know if they wind up
shaking the stuff out of their ears and that's why they are not cured yet.
HELP@!!!!!

[Moderator's note: (I have a big mouth this weekend.)   You might want to
check with a friendly vet about the possibility of injecting ivermectin
(.2 mg/kg, SQ.)  It's off-label use, but it gets rid of them FAST in my
experience.  BIG]

Danica and the five itchey-eared ferrets

P.S. Thanks to all who have helped me in the past with my many questions!