Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 23:20:23 -0800
This is probably a hard question to answer, but someone out there might
have experienced the same behavior.

This morning, I let Marley and the others out to play together - very
strictly supervised.  I have had problems in the past with Cleo not
accepting other females and I thought this was the only attitude problem
with her.  Immediately, she attacked Marley.  He was trying to get away
from her.  She wasn't going for his stitches, just the top of his
shoulders.  I told her "no" and put her in her cage for a time-out.

I then let her out again, and she went straight for him, hissing, poofing
and what I call, screaming.  She has NEVER attacked either of the others
and usually Marley and her, are great friends.

Is it the surgery?  Does she instinctively think that because he is
"different" that she should get him?  He just ran and then curled up at my
feet for cuddling.  He is being such a good boy and is taking his amox like
a pro.  I feel so lucky to have such a loving ferret.

Has anybody else had this happen with their other ferrets?  It is really
upsetting me.  I have never seen her act this way except for when I brought
a foster home that was a female (former breeder) and mother of one of the
boys.  What is the deal?  I am worried that she wont accept Marley any
more.  I do not feed live food, or encourage any "hunting" behavior.

I know in other animal species, when a member of the group is injured or
dying, the others try to kill it.  I have seen this behavior in hamsters,
but do not expect it in ferrets.  Yes, it was definitely an attack, not
playing.  She tried to draw blood and almost bit me when I grabbed her.

She did not do this when I had the two boys neutered.  Very strange to me.
Please don't say "she is having a bad hair day".

Any advice would be appreciated from those who can help.