From:
Kris Kriskius <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:10:22 EDT
This is mainly regarding the *nasty rumors* that Kim Fox wrote about, but
I believe it can also fit in many areas of our lives.

I found this online and thought it was pretty interesting;

"Cyber-Gossip

If you've ever heard something juicy in an online chat room or in an IM
from a friend, you know that the Internet has made it easy to spread a
rumor to lots of people with lightning-fast speed.  "Cyber-gossip" can
involve any of the other types mentioned here.

It's easy for people to feel less responsible when starting a rumor
online, especially if they're able to do it anonymously, (although you
didn't, Kim)  Remember that starting a rumor this way, or passing it on,
can be even more damaging than if its done in person because of how many
eyes it can reach in a short period of time.

A hurtful rumor that's spread through cyber-gossip should be taken just
as seriously as any other kind of rumor."
http://pbskids.org/itsmylife/friends/rumors/article3.html</A>

I wanted to pass on a referral to some great reading material.  A great
book called "Managing your Mouth" by Robert L. Genua.  It's only about
192 pages but provides a wealth of information, The author's advice will
help readers handle the most trying communication scenarios, including:
controversy, gossip, plus there is a valuable guide that starts readers
off with an in-depth personal assessment.  I think it would be especially
helpful in the community like FML where we are always dealing with
different personalities.  I have seen the gossip mill take its toll on
some of the people here.  My ferrets gives this book this two paws up!

Kris and the Fur Kids