From:
Lara Tyminski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Nov 2001 16:27:12 +0000
I'm so frustrated!  When grocery shopping the other day, I decided to stop
into a pet store that I loath.  They always have really expensive puppies
and kittens that look like they come from puppy mills.  Anyway, I went
back to the dog/rodent section and saw they had a ferret, in a 'cage' with
wood shavings.  He was bootin' around looking for someone to play with.
I was let into the back room and took him out.  He was a beautiful silver
blaze, about 3 months old?, very nippy, but didn't bite too hard.  While I
was handling him I got the feeling he was deaf, which was confirmed when
the small animal attendant came over and said the same thing.  I asked
her if she told potential customers and she said of course.  I asked if I
could leave my number in case they had trouble placing him and since she
was washing a kitten, she said to leave it at the front cashier.

I told the cashier I wanted to leave my number as a ferret contact, and
she looked at me like I was speaking another language.  I said, well in
case you have trouble selling the ferret, because he's deaf.  She rolled
her eyes and said well that won't make a difference.  I said, well it
makes them harder to train, also thinking how most people who buy a pet
from a store want a perfect tiny baby.

I gave her my name and told her the name I use for rescue, Ferret Dancer
Rescue, she said ferret dancer?  really snarky and rolled her eyes.

I was very upset when I left.  I know, that I know more than they do
about ferrets, but what credentials do I have?  They had this baby in a
container worse than an acquarium; it was about 1 1/2 foot circular base,
with 2 foot plexiglass sides with holes drilled in them, and a heavy lid.
It had wood chips, a CORNER litter box and a food dish.  No toys, no
bedding, no hammock.

I have to give credit to the woman who worked in the department.  She had
figured out he was deaf, and handled him every day, and let him run around
when she had her lunch.

It was a Pet Paradise,
1080 Adelaide St.
N., London Ontario