Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 2013 10:37:26 -0500
People may recall when I posted about this for ECGs. The creator was
someone who created new equipment for a major medical company but they
wanted only expensive items and he wanted to make medical care more
affordable and available for all. Since he was working on a pediatric
app we asked, "What about doing a veterinary one while you are at it?"
Now vets can do an ECG anywhere for $199.

http://www.alivecorvet.com

The case fits the iPhone 4. Those can be bought from people who have
gone to iPhone 5 until AliveCor Vet makes one that fits the newer
phone.

Clinical testing so far has been on cats, dogs, and horses.

This second piece of equipment is for urine testing but is not
available yet in most of the world.

http://www.wired.com/business/2013/02/smartphone-becomes-smart-lab/
 and
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21586082

UChek measures things like glucose, bilirubin, keytone, specific
gravity, blood, pH, and protein levels in urine using an iPhone app.
That makes it longer lasting than strips (some of which must be used
within weeks to a few months of opening the package) and more
affordable while being portable. Back when we had two ferrets who got
cystine uroliths we spent a small fortune on urine pH measuring strips
during their next 6 years + after stone removal surgeries. This
approach is also portable and safe under many environmental conditions.

[P.S]
Three notes:
1. by "for $199" I am referring to the cost of the product, not the
test cost for clients which also can come down
2. the urine testing still uses strips but the mentioned cost for his
strips is smaller than what we encountered for the complex strips and
they are in packages of 20 instead of 100 so the problem with having
the strips destroyed fast after opening no longer exists
3. the strips test for 10 things and the app reads the results more
accurately than most people can

Sukie (not a vet) Ferrets make the world a game.

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
http://www.miamiferret.org/
http://www.ferrethealth.msu.edu/