From:
"E.M. Ennis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 00:53:59 -0500
Sorry for the sensationalistic subject line, but if you read the FML as I
often due (with time NOT on my side) by skimming the subjects for
interesting topics, this is the best way to reach the largest number of
people.  That said, the headline is in all likelyhood true.  I've sent two
letters to VO Toys (address below) regarding their 'ferret toys.' On both
occasions, I've recieved a letter in return that states that the toys are
no longer made or distributed.  Please note these letter were written close
to a year apart and the toys are unfortunately continuing to move off the
shelves.  Their toys include, but are by no means limited to, rubber
high-bounce balls (the kind you used to get for a quarter from toy
machines), a latex hedgehog complete with about fifty perfectly chewable
'spines,' a soft foam ball, foam and latex mice, etc.  The first letter I
sent was pretty mild informing them that such toys weren't fit for ferrets
due to blockage issue.  The second one (a few months ago) was a bit more
forceful (sort of a how-can-you-sleep-at-night, profit-hungry-corporation,
general hot-head letter).  Now that the whole issue has come up about these
toys appearing in a major publication I've even more concerned that
first-timers will grab these off the shelves and bring them home for their
ferrets.  I've seen another company recently distributing similar products
but I haven't gotten their address yet.  Those who are interested, please
write a short letter to these folks and let them know about the threat
these toys pose.  Sadly, I'm not sure they care.  That's the message I
continue to get.  Maybe a minor flood of protest will open SOMEONE'S eyes.
Their address is:

VO-Toys, Inc.
400 South Fifth St.
Harrison, NJ     07029

I'll post the address of the other offender when I can find another toy
package.

                       -Erin...