From:
"Michelle P." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 2 Jun 1994 23:42:03 -0400
Hi,

My name is Jennifer, and I just lost my Ferret to a unknown cause of death.
I'm using Michelle's computer to write this letter in hopes that some one
some where, can help me figure out what happened to my Ferret "Pebbles".
Michelle has wrote a letter to Dr. Williams, and we are hoping to be able to
find a reason behind this loss, and that Dr. Williams can find something that
my vet could not.
I'm also asking Dr. Brown, and all other people with ferret knowledge,
Pebbles was my first ferret, she was born 1-6-94, and soon after I got
Pebbles I got Abigail, Pebbles' sister from the same litter.

**Both of them are up to date on their Distemper shots**

But here is the story, Today we played in the morning, both of them were
fine, that evening I went in to check on them wich I do all day long, the
only thing I notice was that Pebbles seemed to be sleeping a little more then
usual today.  This evening I went in to check on them and found that Pebbles
wouldn't come to me, and when I picked her up she was limp, and wouldn't
respond, I bundled her up in a blanket and rushed her to the emergancy
clinic.
They took her temperature and said that it was 98, low for a ferret, it
should be around 102.  Well they put her on a heating pad, and gave her a
little bit of sugar water, wich didn't help.  The doctor was suspecting low
sugar or Insulinoma.  Well Pebbles wasn't even strong enough to lift her head
up, they wrapped her up in the blanket and left her to rest, well about a
half an hour later I went in to check on her, she licked my fingers as if to
say "I know its you mom",
I kissed her back and gave her a cuddle to my face and then left the room
because they said she needed to rest.
I left the hospital and came back in a half an hour, and when I asked the
nurses how she was they said they didn't know, and that I'd have to talk to
the doctor.  He came out and told me that she had died, I lost it, rate there
in the waiting room. I knew I shouldn't have left her, and thats what the
nurse had the nerve to say to me.."Well maybe if you wouldn't have
left......" Yes I have a major guilt trip going.
The Doctor cannot tell me what she died of, and especially since she is so
young ( not even 6 months old yet) The first thing they wanted to do was to
check for rabies, wich made me mad, I told them there was no way.  I called
Michelle and she suggested that my vet get into contact with DR.Williams in
hopes that he could maybe find something, some reason behind this.

Pebbles was completely normal earlier today. I am lost without her. Michelle
has offered to give me one of her kits, but I just can't do it rate now, I
can't replace her so soon.  But I am worried about Abigail being lonely
without her sister.
I Loved Pebbles so much!!!!  She was mommy's girl, she hated everyone but me,
and wouldn't let anyone else pet her, even my husband, if I was holding her
she'd hiss at him.
Last night I was in my office and she was running around playing, my husband
came in and was talking to me,  Abigail snuck up on him, bit him, then ran
off going "heee heee heee", I know she was laughing at him.
She was mine and mine alone, everyone hated her and I loved her like nothing
else in this world, she was my daughter, my silly precious daughter.
Enough of this, I've cryed my eyes out enough today.

I just have to know why she died, I'm worried that maybe Abigail can die now
too, especially since they were sisters.
If anyone out there has ever had this happen to their ferret, or know what
could have been the cause of this unexpected death, PLEASE< PLEASE, write to
Michelle so she can relay the message to me or my vet, thank you.

Jennifer and Abigail