From:
Eric Lucas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 May 1996 17:13:34 -0500
I don't think your pet store is really unique in offering a refund for
illness within the first 6 months.  All the ones near me, mall stores and
otherwise, have a policy like this.  In fact, I assume all stores do, but
I'm not sure.

But let's think about it....let's say you get an adorable little fuzzy, and
you spend 4 months training and becoming very attached to it (those little
buggers sure are cute, aren't they)...and then it gets ill.  Now you're
telling me you would return it and get your money back??  I certainly
wouldn't be able to, not after that much emotional investment!  (and who
could turn a sick friend over to a stranger anyway?) And I'd bet pet stores
know that and rely on that fact, particularly with ferrets (and dogs), who
seem to bond with their humans much more than other types of pets.  So I've
always suspected that the refund policy is a pretty low-risk way for any pet
shop to get a little good PR, whether or not they take good care of their
animals.

Just my impressions....  Maybe that's not the way they operate at all.

    Eric