From:
"Phyllis A. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jun 1998 23:30:18 -0500
I hope I am not over stepping any boundaries but I must talk to some people
owned by their ferrets.

I heard that the ferret club/shelter I had taken in a 14 week old, male kit.
He is a chocolate sable.  I stated an interest in it, but the president, who
does the adoptions, had already contacted the zoo to see if they wanted him
for their petting zoo.  Every time I talked to her I asked if she had heard
from the zoo.  When we talked on Wednesday, she said that she was going to
call them I more time and if they didn't respond he was mine.  At the yard
sale yesterday morning she told me that I can have him.  I was and still am
in some ways excited.  I cannot pick him up until sometime next week because
is foster father is out of town.

My problem began when I told my best friend that I got him.  He got very mad
at me.  I had asked him to got to the store when he first came in, so he did
that.  Upon getting back, he put up the grocers and left stating that he was
so mad that he was afraid that he would say something that he would have
later regretted saying.

I have never seen him this mad.  We have been friends for 9 years.  He has
been with me through thick and then.  I am disabled and he helps me a lot.
I feel like I am between a rock and a hard spot, and no matter which way I
go, I will be hurt.

Last year Ferret Math attacked me.  I went to a ferret show and saw two
beautiful kits.  One was cinnamon and the other a blaze.  I knew that I
couldn't really afford them at the time, so I passed.  All year I have had
my heart on getting another ferret this summer or fall.  I have three
ferrets, Faith - 3 1/2, Hope - 3 and Charrity 2.

I have read several places that it is better to introduce kits to a group
when the youngest one is 2.  I have deliberately trying to stagger the ages
of my ferrets, because I know I couldn't afford the vet bills if they were
all to get sick at the same time.

I don't believe that one more ferret will use that much more litter and = I
by Totally Ferret by the 15 pound bag.  I have enough ferretone that will
last me a long time and plenty of shampoo.  I already have a harness, which
mine only wears when I take them on a walk.  The shelter charges a $40
adoption fee per ferret.  I know that this Kit has been recently examined by
the vet (actually the same vet I go to) and has had her rabies and distemper
shots so I don't have to worry about that big out lay of money.

I don't want to loose such a valuable friend but I so VERY much want this
little boy.  I have been telling the girls that they are hopefully getting a
little brother and when I came home last night I told them definitely they
were getting him.  I sort of makes me mad that my friend has taken such a
hard stand on this subject.  This is the first time I have done opposite of
the feelings he has stated.  Is he trying to dominate me or does he feel
just that strong?  I have done many things I haven't really wanted to do
like sell much of my old furniture, when I moved, and purchasing a futon.
He states we are just friends and have no possibility in becoming anything
else.

I know you cannot really tell me what to do, but I would REALLY REALLY know
what you would do if you were in my shoes!!!!!!!!!!!  Please take a few
minutes to write me back.  Only ferret people can understand where I am
coming from.

Praying for guidance:
Phyllis and the Wigglies, Faith, Hope, Charrity and hopefully a little male.