From:
Jennifer Hudson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 17:05:03 -0500
It is almost 5 p.m. Tuesday.  My daughter, Tori and I, just finished
decorating Syd's box and then buried him in the backyard under the pine
tree.

Syd spent yesterday afternoon and evening home us and the other fuzzies,
playing, eating raisins and ferretone and letting us take turns cuddling
him.  I prepared him for bed in a large carrier next to me.  He woke me
around 10:30 coughing and I put him on my shoulder and rub his back til
the episode passed.  But, a little after midnight, he began coughing again.
I could not ease his discomfort and I could feel him grinding his teeth.
Looking in his eyes, I knew the time was right for him to prepare to cross
the bridge.  I was not ready to say goodbye, but I knew it was best for
him.  I gave him lasix hoping to ease his discomfort til we arrived at the
vets.

After giving Syd the shot, they handed him to me and I wrapped him in a
blanket and rocked him to sleep.  He curled up in my lap, put his head on
my arm and let out a sign and started to close his eyes.  His crossing was
quick and peaceful.  He came home wrapped in a warm blankie and I sat in
the rec room with him for a while before laying him in the box Tori and I
had purchased and started to decorate for him.

Tori said her goodbyes this morning when she woke up.  I left work early
today to be able to spend time with Tor and Syd before we buried him.  We
made a heart shaped stepping stone for him decorated with heart stones and
a laminated photo of him to mark his spot under the tree.

Though we still find ourselves fighting the tears, we know that Syd is no
longer in discomfort and he is able to run and play again without getting
tired or fighting for a breath.  I hope his short time spent at home
yesterday with us reminded him how much we love him and he knew how much we
will miss him.  Every ferret is a precious gift, we just cannot understand
why he had to leave us so early.

Hugs to everyone,

Jen and Gang