From:
Inez Gowsell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 1994 14:49:13 -0500
Hi all:

Figured it was time to write again.  I have written a letter to the
McDowells, but keep forgetting to mail the *darn* thing!!!

In my letter, I told them about my ferret, Cocoa, and it made me realize
how lucky I was with her.  She died before I found out about the ferret
list and all the wonderful advice it has, yet she survived quite well in
ignorance (*we* survived quite well!  :).

I was very fortunate with her not getting lost.  I must have lucked out
and gotten already ferret proofed apartments or something!  :)

The other point I wanted to make is that I had a fantastic vet.  She
deals with birds and exotic pets and she was always caring and compassionate.
Someone mentioned their vet's compassion when one of their ferrets died, and
it reminded me of my vet.

Anyway, on to other stuff.

> From: [log in to unmask] (Mark Ouellette x8216)
> Date:   Fri, 11 Feb 1994 11:02:36 -0500
> Subject: More ramblings from me.

{comments on sensitive hearing deleted to conserve space}

> Well, last night I made another attempt to play my guitar with pretty much
> the same results. Farrah was in another room up to her usual antics so I
> thought this would be a good time to pick up the 6-string and doodle (again,
> not plugged into the amp) when lo and behold, Farrah entered the room, stopped
> dead in her tracks with her nose in the air and proceeded to pee on the
 carpet.
> Next she scaled the bedspread and went right for my wrists, nipping at my
> shirt sleeve and chortling again.  Guitar returns to guitar stand and I
 comfort
> my little critic.  The curious thing is, Weasie was also out and about, she
> came in at about the same time Farrah was nipping my wrists and kind of
> gave Farrah a "what's your problem" look and scurried on to points unknown.
> Guess guitar practice waits until Ferret furlough is over and the fuzzies
> are entwined and copping zzzzzzzzzz's for the night!

I wonder if it is because the electric guitar is high pitched?  I thought
ferrets were more sensitive to higher pitched sounds, and the only time I
heard an electric guitar being played without an amp, it sounded pretty high.

> Ferret Groups/Associations in Vegas?  I mentioned in a past article that
> we're (the Ouellette's, pregant wife Judy, daughters Tiffany & Brittany
> plus our two weasels) will be making the trip for a two week visit (last
> week of April/first week of May). After numerous phone calls to America
> West airlines, I think we're all set with the weasels flying with us.
> A.W. know up front that we're bringing 2 domestic ferrets with us, we
> have a pet carrier that fits A.W.'s specs for under the seat. It's $50.00
> each way to bring them with us, we already have a reservation for them
> (pay at the counter at time of flight), we're all booked/ticketed and
> anxious!  I'm just sceptical about how smooth it's going to go once we
> show up on the day of the flight... "What are those?! You can't bring
> those onboard with you! I don't care what the reservation says!" My
> fingers are crossed for the next few months that all will go well...
> I'll post our results to the list when we return in case anybody else
> is considering flying with ferrets in the future.

Good luck!!!  I hope there won't be any problems, and I look forward to
your report.

> ---------------------------------------
> >From: Jim Lapeyre <[log in to unmask]>
> >Date:   Wed, 9 Feb 1994 13:45:41 -0500
> >Subject: Music Critt(ic)ers
> >        Re Mark Oullette's ferrets' response to the family music...
> >        I have the same phenomenon.  I play several instruments, and Rikki
> >and Winston (Rikki more so) restore one's faith in the Pied Piper of Hamlin
> >story.
>
> I don't even touch my acoustic since it would be louder than my un-plugged
> (sounds like a good name for a MTV show and/or a CD!) electric. Fortunately,
> the electric (Gibson Explorer) has no sound-hole so no chance of her crawling
> in it. I haven't tried playing my Bass with my little critic on the loose.
> Maybe I could sneak in some practice with that as long as I stay low on
> the neck...  Oh the sacrifices we make for our slinkies!   8-)

As I mentioned earlier, maybe the higher noise of an unplugged electric
bothers them.  Have you tried the acoustic with the furries around?  It
*might* not bother their ears as much.  I can't remember if I played my
acoustic much when I had Cocoa, and my playing would certainly have
brought out the critic in her!!!!  :)  Let's just say, I am not ready to
cut a record for several years.  :)

> ---------------------------------------
> From: Mooney Norma <[log in to unmask]>
> Date:   Fri, 11 Feb 1994 16:01:06 -0500
> Subject: dogs and ferret
>
>         Hi gang! How is everybody doing? Well, i hope. Anyway, the reason
> i am writing is...i will be moving to an apartment in Kingston soon and
> would really like to get a dog. However, i would like to know, first, if
> anyone knows of a dog that would be happy in an apt. (with plenty of
> walks), and would also enjoy sharing that apt. with my ferret, Molly.
> Perhaps more to the point, would Molly mind sharing her apt. with a dog?

Well, Cocoa got along quite well with my parents Great Dane, but that
isn't exactly an apartment dog, is it?  :)  My landlady's cocker
spaniels tolerated Cocoa, but they were pretty hyper.  I think the best
choice would be to start with a pup and get Molly used to that.  Puppies
are more curious (Thor was a pup when he met Cocoa which is why he liked
her, I think) and more accepting than an older "set in its ways" dog
would be.  Just my 2 cents.  :)

Tis all for now!  :)
Inez