From:
Jennifer Morlanne <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 1994 09:45:57 -0400
Hi All,

I'd like to introduce myself and my kids to the FML. I've been
receiving the FML for a while but this is my first post. My name is
Jennifer and I live in South Florida with a husband, dog and three
ferrets; Ron, Nancy and Maggie. All three are MF ferrets (by the
tattoos in their ears). Ron and Nancy were bought together and are
about a year old. Maggie is a rescue ferret and is estimated to be
about 4-5 years old (no one knows for sure because she was found
abandoned at a wildlife center). They are a bundle of sheer trouble
(yeah... I know... I'm preaching to the choir), but I ADORE them and
their antics.

Anyway more stories later. I have some questions I wonder if anyone
can help with. Recently we've had a couple of bite cases here in South
Florida (one of them a la the McDowell case) and I was hoping for some
info.

First, a child was "bitten" (probably nipped) by a kit at a pet store.
The mother made a huge stink and ALL the kits (3) in the display were
taken away and KILLED (to check for Rabies)!!! The mother never
identified which kit was the "culprit." The "victim" (child) was never
taken to begin the rabies shots, there was no proof of actual skin
breakage on the child, yet these poor babies were killed. It almost
seems to me that this woman wanted revenge but no one could be that
vindictive.

Anyway, my question is, does ANYONE know of ANYWHERE (state, city,
county, anything) that quarantines ferrets instead of killing them. I
know there is no U.S. study done on the shedding period of the rabies
virus in ferrets, but nevertheless, I thought I heard there was
somewhere in the U.S. where there is actually legislation that allows
for quarantines of ferrets. Any information anyone can give me (even
rumors - I'll track them down) will be greatly appreciated. It would
be nice to prevent something like from happening again.

Roger McMillan:
In Issue 853 you wrote about a Minnesota ferretry that was selling
improperly spayed females. We have seen 4 ferrets from Minnesota with the
exact same problem you mentioned. Do you have any more info on this
ferretry? If this is being seen in Chicago (is that where your from?) as
well as South Florida then there must be many other areas that this is
happening. Again any information anyone can provide would be greatly
appreciated.

You can e-mail me personally if you wish.

My condolences to all who have recently lost loved ones. Your poems and
posts have been most touching and tearful. (Uploading Hugs and ferret
kisses).

Thanks to everyone (especially Dr. Williams and Dr. Brown) for their
contributions to this mailing list and to Chris for moderating it; it has
been an invaluable source of information.