From:
Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 25 Apr 1994 08:11:25 -0400
        To Cindy regarding Dream:

>Thank you for getting back to me on the results of the pathology on Dream's
>testicle. I'm relieved that no tumors were found. How will this affect Dream's
>fertility? He ran a high fever 104+ for about four days. Can that have affected
>the other testicle's ability to produce sperm?

>I never noticed any sign of trauma to Dream's testicle. There were no wound or
>bite marks. Would the skin have to be broken for this to happen? Could a fall
>cause the epididymis to rupture? Would being in season make him more prone to
>this type of injury?

        Well, to start with, this is a very rare lesion in my experience.  It
should have no effect on his fertility; the other testicle should be working
just fine - but let's wait and see.  As far as hist fever, the sperm that was
generated during that time will probably be somewhat deformed, but the ones
produced before and after will be okay.

        Conceivably, blunt trauma could cause this type of injury, but
penetrating trauma is more likely.  Could one of your females not immediately
taken to his advances??  In my experience, most testicular injuries occur in
reproductive season - the animals are in more dangerous situation, tempers are
higher, they are more single-minded and cavalier in their attitudes, etc.  Plus
the testicles are bigger...

Keep up posted...

       Bruce Williams, DVM                 Department of Veterinary Pathology
       [log in to unmask]         Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
       (202) 576-2453/2454                 Washington, D.C.  20306-6000