Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 25 Apr 1994 02:33:14 -0400
> Hi everyone...I am writing as I am becoming quite frustrated with my two
> pals Rock and Punk.  They have decided that it is great fun digging holes
> through the thin mesh under my couch and going inside the couch (and chair,
> and now that they're ferret proofed (haha) the hassock.)

 Hello,

 This sofa problem is not a new one to my fuzzies weazie and cody, In
 fact I know all to well this one. Weasie was a model ferret until Cody
 came to live with us along with all the reasons she got kicked out of her
 last home.  We have one of those sofas that sit flush on the floor so I
 thought I was exempt from that problem... Well after taking notice of
 some carpet fuzz near the edge of my couch, and feeling a lump in the pit
 of my stomache I pulled the sofa away from the wall only to confirm my
 fears. What I found was a five inch in diameter hole dug straight thru
 the carpet and padding exposing the floorboards of our rented apartment.
 Perhaps you should be thankful that Rock and Punk only want into the sofa
 and not through the sofa to the basement.  I have now tried many ways
 of blocking their entrance and exit. They were getting in behind the
 cushions and squeezing into the bottom where they could walk on the mesh
 and eventually destroy. First I removed all the cushions and put down
 a few yards of fabric, randomly layering it so at least it would require
 all their ferret persistence to get to the entrance they made.  As a
 back up I put down a piece of carpet and some cardboard to keep them
 busy destroying something I wasn't paying rent on.  It seemed to have
 worked well for many months, they didn't even get past the fabric
 maze, lately though I have been hearing that old familiar scratch-
 scratch and I need to check on the floor below. I just get sick every
 time I see that carpet crater.

 Beth Beiter, Weasie, Sneezy, and The Carpet Excavator, Cody.