From:
Kelleen and the FANG Gang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jun 1996 05:55:01 -0600
Hi All,

I am proud to announce that I am now the mama to two precious, tiny (and I
mean tiny!) 5 week old albino kits.  One boy and one girl.  And at the same
time I just want to cry.

These babies are too damn tiny to even have been weaned yet, and the lady
said that their Mom came right back into heat and is pregnant again!  Do you
realize she must have taken them from Mom at 3 or 4 weeks then?  I want to
scream.  She said this has never happened before and she usually breeds them
only once a year when she has too.

I am very unhappy to say this woman does breed her two ferrets every year
and has kits to sell.  She has only two breeders right now I believe and the
mother's grandmother who is the albino of the bunch.  Mom and dad were
sables and very pretty.  I assume she always sells them this young too.  Had
my Mom and I not asked a lot of seemingly innocent questions from 2 not very
well informed people (he he he) we would have been told very little by her I
think.  I wish to God I had the kind of Money thru FANG to make her a deal
that if she insists on breeding every year that she would sell me all the
kits each time and I would care for them and get them fixed etc.... before
adopting them back out.  Plus maybe I could convince her to not even begin
to wean from mother's milk until the age of 6 weeks.  She just might go for
something like that too.

Since I cannot make her stop breeding (or can I?) I have a request from all
of you.  I need the address of where to order that breeder's digest you have
talked about before.  The only thing I can think to do is subscribe in her
name and address and she will just start getting it and have no clue where
it came from!  I really think she seems like not too bad a woman but I know
she needs a lot more info.  on this even tho she has been doing it for many
years.  The cages with mom and dad are outside year round.  She also
apparently breeds rabbits, dogs, kittens, and God knows what else.  It made
me sick to see all the cages outside and the Rabbits under a tarp outside in
the hot sun.  I want to cry and am.  Our summers can get to 103 degrees and
our winters are pretty cold sometimes with snow and everything.  I can't
imagine these litle guys living outside in those conditions.  Is this OK for
them?  Also she does not handle her breeders at all.  Even when they are not
in rut or heat she sounded as tho they are still not handled.  How terribly
sad for those poor two adults.

I also need info on prolapsed rectums in babies again.  My new baby boy has
this condition.  I have put some Colloidal herbal salve on it and hope it
will help.  Today upon getting home I knew they were real hungry (Damn, can
these little guys bite hard,LOL!) The ***** said she fed them "3" lousy
times a day and I saw that it was this canned crap that was not a good brand
and there were hard chunks of dry food in it that they could not even eat.
I tried to give the little girl it and she kept spitting it out because she
scould not chew it up yet.  I know they are undernourished and so I gave
them some a/d canine feline paste/baby food mixture right away.  It was all
I had at the moment.  Then Mom got me some canned Iams cat food and I mixed
that in too.  I also gave them some goat's milk to try and take the place of
the mother's milk they should still be getting.  I need more info.  on what
to feed my tiny son and daughter.  I want them to get all the nutrition they
could possibly need.  I do not intend to even try dry food at all until a
week more has passed but even then they will still be fed the soft mixture
too.  They are eating up a storm every 4 hours now since that is what I
personally feel they need.  Am I right to feed this often?  I feel at such a
loss since I have never encountered babies this d**n young!!

By the way the little girl is now mine.  I told my mom as we were holding
them at the breeder's that she realized I had to keep this little girl to
carry on in RACY's name and be my new albino daughter named FANCY!  My Mom
looked at me and said "As if I didn't already know that was coming!!).  So I
guess I wasn't fooling anyone all along<GGG> My little boy I was trying to
pick a name for too.  Because is is also albino I finally chose his name to
be, CLOUD DANCING.  Like the indian in Dr. Quinn on TV.  After all he is all
white like a cloud and soon will be dancing right?  I worry about that
prolapsed rectum tho so please help.

Now when and how in the world do you train them how hard they can bite a
human?  I mean when these tiny babies latch on it is damn near worse than a
full grown adult.  OUCH!!!!  Yi Yi Yi Yi Yi Yi!!  Do I need to get this
breeder's digest too do you think?  Maybe I better if I ever have more tiny
babes like this huh?  So I guess I need two subscriptions now.  Please all
you breeders and anyone else out there please write to me and help me with
all the info.  I will need.  I realize this will not be a piece of cake but
I am devoted completely to my two babies and I want nothing but happiness
and health for them always.

Oh yeah the babies were in the house but who knows for how long they had
been in there since ALL the other animals were outside in the heat.  They
were in a little dog carrier on wooden shavings only, no blankies no
nothing!  They had been given water only in with their food apparently.  I
have given them water in a small bowl and I hold them there and let them
drink carefully.  The food would drop in the shavings and my daughter was
trying desperately to eat some and get a shaving off it at the same time.
One last question, does this sound like someone I have a right to call the
Humane Society or other authorities on?  Does anyone know what I do to
report her?  Where exactly do I call etc..?

All my adult babies are being just wonderful in their supervised visits with
the tiny babies.  They have immediately taken on the roles of Mommy and
Daddy or Grandpa, Aunt, Uncle, whatever.  They seem to love these tiny souls
and clean them all over and everything.  I am so proud of them all.  Well I
have taken far too much space here so please contact me in private so I get
the messages as soon as I can.  I need your advice right away and not later
when the digest will come out.  Plus now I am 2 FML's behind again:-(

THANK YOU ALL!!!!  I am waiting anxiously to hear from you.    TNT!

*      Kelleen Andrews  &  Her FANG GANG!!!!          *
*  President and Founder of F.A.N.G. Shelter/Club     *
*      (Ferret Association of Neverending Glee)       *
*      405 S. Orchard   Boise, Idaho  83705           *
*      208-342-7292                                   *
*   I'll take a good animal over a good mate anyday!  *
*   All they want is lots of love and great chow.     *