From:
Date:
Fri, 29 May 1998 00:22:50 -0700
>From:    DONNA J BROWN <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: mice
>Anyway, would a ferret hunt a mouse too like a cat?  If so, is it harmful
>if the ferret ended up eating the mouse?

An awful lot of ferrets have forgotten their place in the world.  Well at
least why they were domesticated in the first place.  And that was to hunt
the mice and rats getting into peoples homes.  They are Europe's answer to
the African cat in a way.  Ferrets were a "safe" alternative to "evil" cats
when the cats were seen as consorts of Satan.  The "church" has dropped
beliefs about the cats but can't be too safe right?  <just kidding!>

Oh and the mouse would be a tasty and nutritious meal for a ferret.  Unless
you also use rat/mouse poison and the mouse ate some.

But if some of our ferrets are a guide.  The mouse has little to worry
about.  Had a crack in the basement and some mice snuck in.  Walked into the
ferret's primary romm and startled a mouse that was munching on a bit of
spilled food.  So where did he run to hide?  Right under a ferret.

Did the ferret respond?  Well she almost seemed to say "Be my guest".

Didn't have any English or Swedish ferrets then so might have a different
ending now.

Yes I patched the crack in the foundation but moved anyway.  Now we're on a
farm.  Got some tom cats but still see mice - mostly outside playing in the
hay.  Keeps them away from the ferrets as the ferrets stay in the house.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]