From:
Ferretwise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 11:01:22 -0500
As a shelter operator- I would like to add to Linda's comments on free
roaming ferrets!

I can tell you some horror stories about ferrets NOT caged at night.  It
really depends on your lifestyle and what you can do to make the area
ferret Safe!

In the past years we have answered phones calls from frantic folks because
1- they allowed the free roaming ferret and child to be out camping
   overnight- the child rolled on top of ferret and it suffocated
2- ferret was in bed with owners and was suffocated during sleep
3- ferret was stepped on by owner when up for nightly bathroom trip
3- ferret was wedged between wall & appliance while owners slept / were
   out etc

as you can see there is potential for any ferret when unsupervised.  We
urge that you evaluate the area, and the probable trouble areas but know
many folks who can arrange for free roaming options!

Fondly in ferrets-
Alicia at Ferret Wise
www.ferretwise.org