From:
Sandra King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 14:14:41 EST
A ferret came into the emergency clinic Monday night complaining of
vomiting blood.  This ferret is *bone* skinny, was throwing up blackish
looking blobs and some blood tinged foam.  Turns out that this ferret had
been fed *rabbit* food its entire life (about 1 year), and the blood was
coming from a cut or stomatitis on his tongue.  I now have this ferret
because they could not afford the vet bill.  He has not thrown up once
since I've had him, his hydration is now good, his poops look a normal
brown, and he is eating A/D and baby food with gusto.  My question is:
will the year of eating nothing but rabbit food damage his intestines?
If so, to what degree?  I have not done blood work on him because I expect
everything to be out of whack, but will do so in a month or so when he's
gained a bit of weight to see where things stand.