From:
Sandra King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 2001 11:45:17 EST
I have been treating my ferrets for ECE for the past 6 weeks.  For the most
part, everybodys' poops are starting to firm up, and have been adding
ground kibble to the baby food-A/D mix.  Several were on pred for a while
due to weight loss and continued watery/mucoid poops.  Of those, all but
one are doing well.  The one in question is the ferret who probably brought
it into my house.  He has had a left adrenalectomy, a left nephrectomy
due to hydronephrosis that was apparently leaking into his abdomen.  He
was on pred for two weeks, and his poop never got to the formed stage,
but at least it was not an olive green blob or smear of watery mucous.
My question is--now what?  Put him back on pred?  Antibiotics?  Both?
Kaopectate does nothing for him.  How does one slow the gut transit time
(if that's why you get the green icky poops)?  He is a rotund ferret, so
weight loss is not a concern at this point, and he is still eating.