From:
Jodi Semlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2007 13:11:15 +0000
Hi, I have a few questions that I thought the more experienced
ferret owners may be able to answer.

I am adopting two babies that are about 10-12 weeks old, I am
considering getting a male and female. There is a spay/neuter
agreement - but it is left up to the adopter to schedule it at
the appropriate time.

1. How old should the female and male be when I spay/neuter? I have
heard suggestion of 5-6 months for the girl and as long as I can wait
for the male (6-12months).

2. Depending on when I can spay/neuter, when do I have to separate the
cage mates so there are no accidents (allowing for the optimum maturity
before spay/neuter).

3. I know that the boys hormones will kick in and sometimes they may
try to hump other ferrets. Is it best for me to separte him once this
happens until he gets neutered (or until I get the girl spayed???)

I just want to be prepared, so that I know how best to handle this.

Thanks
Jodi