From:
Sue Kocher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 1996 16:26:33 EET
To Christopher A.:

You asked about declawing of ferrets.  I think that most readers of the FML
would agree that declawing of ferrets is neither normal or ethical.  IMHO,
it is none too ethical a procedure to use on cats, either.  Cats have
retractable claws, and are nearly impossible to clip" regularly without
getting slashed to ribbons.  What gets removed in declawing is the entire
first joint of each toe, claw included.  The result is deformed looking
feet; the cat cannot defend itself as effectively, and can no longer climb
trees to escape from enemies.  But I can't say I am categorically against
it.  If the owner MUST declaw in order to keep the cat indoors and save the
furniture, well, I say that's better than letting the cat roam free and kill
increasingly rare local birds & reptiles (they do; don't kid yourselves).

Ferrets, however, do not have retractable claws.  They are clipped with
minimal fuss if you scruff the ferret and carefully snip off the sharp ends
with a pair of nail cutters.  Ferrets do not scratch furniture to sharpen
their claws the way cats do, though they DO dig (making attempts to burrow
into your skin and pants).  So clip their nails and teach them not to
scratch at you.

Cheers,

--Sue