From:
Date:
Sun, 14 Dec 1997 20:30:56 -0800
We are glad we got to meet quite a few of you folks at the AFA show in
Ferderick MD!  Glad you took the time to say Hi even though we were up
judging/stewarding the kit class.  We saw some really nice ferrets and some
really nice ferret owners!

>From:    ferret1 <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Does anyone have ferrets like ours?

Actually polydactylism (extra digits) is not uncommon in ferrets.  The
patterns associated with Wardensburg syndrome are also commonly associated
with deafness.  Your descriptions can fit ferrets from nearly anywhere.

>From:    Juliana Quadrozzi - GA Domestic Ferret Association
>Subject: Why do shelters get personal?
>Although I don't inquire about personal finances, I might ask that if faced
>w/a medical situation, would they be able to handle the responsibility of
>veterinary care.

We are glad we agree.

The description of how you ask sounds exactly the way these questions should
be asked.  The exact income of a person doesn't matter in the least.
Whether they understand the expenses and potential expenses of ferret
ownership does.  It is quite legitimate to ask questions pertaining to
whether they would seek veterinary care and whether willing to pay the
costs.  A barely getting by college student type or a relatively poor family
that is willing to forgoe cable television in leiu of a ferret that is far
more entertaining anyway can just as likely do "what is right" as a $100,000
a year executive.  Conversely the executive can be just as likely to see a
ferret as just another possession and write off an ill ferret rather than
spend money required.

The issue is NOT someone's income.  Its their commitment.

The original issue was NOT whether a particular shelter was seeking to
assess commitment but whether it appeared to the potential adopter that the
questions seemed personal rather than pointed.

Since we do run a shelter we are fully aware of all these points being made.
We think it IS important that shelters pay attention to how they present
themselves to the public as well as to whether they find good homes for
their charges.

If the shelter system turns off a potential adopter from the shelter system
and then that person buys from a pet store.

What will become of that ferret if for some reason that owner can not keep
the ferret.  There are many reasons - legitimate and less legitimate - for
people not being able to keep ferrets.  Where will that the ferret go if the
owner is so turned off by the shelters that they will not consider that
option.  The local dog and cat shelter that may not try to place ferrets?
Set them loose in the woods?

Its hopeful that the 1998 Compendium that places ferrets fully in with dogs
and cats may help out with that potential problem with the "official"
shelters since it is addressed.

>You can ask the same question in 5 different stores & get 5 different
>answers.

That is true of ferret breeders and of ferret shelters as well.

>One of our biggest problem w/pet stores in GA, is that pet stores tell
>customers that the 6-8 week old kit has had *its shot* leading to a false
>impression that no further vaccinations are necessary - ever.

That is not just in Georgia.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/