Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 17:04:02 EDT
>From:    Mustang Charlie <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Prilosec

>>But they still listen.  In fact, they are following up on my idea about
>>Prilosec and how it might be used in the treatment of helicobacter
>>mustela.

>Lisa, and gentle readers...
>Interesting.  Prilosec is a "blocker" med, in that it 'controls' the cells
>that generate the acids in the stomach.  I am curious as to how you feel
>that it would be an effective agent against a bacterial invasion of the
>gut.
>
>I am a long term, maintenence user of Prilosec.  I have just re-read the
>'indications' of the drug and no mention of bacterial intervention is
>mentioned.
>
>I would also be curious as to how one would determine a dosage for a fert.
>Heh.  It is packaged in a very large, 500mg sized gelatin capsule.  Bet it
>would be fun to work those down to a smaller dosage!
>
>MC, The Rude One

MC...

The reason that my vets and I are excited about Prilosec is that it is
currently being used to treat helicobacter pylori in humans - but at a
much smaller dosage than what you are taking - only 20mg tablets.  My
"discovery" about how great prilosec works was when I was diagnosed a
couple weeks ago with helicobacter pylori - and the recommended treatment
is a 2-4 week course of prilosec, 20mg caplets, once per day.

In my case, I can tell you it works -from day one.  My H. pylori was
diagnosed through an antibody blood test.  In my very humble opinion - its
certainly something to look at and try to work through - just think of the
possibilities!  I'm not a doctor or a vet - I just figured that if you can
use it on people for Helicobacter, why not on ferrets?

Any vets out there with an opinion on whether this might be worthwhile to
pursue or not?

Lisa, Head Ferret
The Ferret Haven "By-the-Sea"
URL:http://www.kozykingdom.com/ferrethaven
Want to help The Ferret Haven By-the-Sea? Register at iGive.com
by cutting and pasting this link:
http://www.iGive.com/html/ssi.cfm?CID=1236&MID=854