From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 13:43:28 EST
Danee, this is a great idea.  I loved reading your love story for
Valentine's Day.  I have a submission.  But it's a different kind of
love story.  I hope I am not infringing with this story, being that
it's not between two ferrets as requested.

It's between a boy and a ferret.  Both with special needs.  Sean's
Valentine was Rocky on one Valentine's Day.  Sean "earned" his own ferret
with his past dedication to the care-taking of our other ferrets.  So we
took him to a shelter to be matched with a ferret.  Sean was unusually
spontaneous and communicative when he arrived at the shelter.  The
withdrawn little boy, trapped in his own world so much of the time was
free that day!  That whole visit was a very positive one, and one to be
remembered.

Sean looked up at the shelter mom and very firmly said, "I am special, so
I need a very special ferret".  The shetler parents then showed him Rocky
(Rocky was still a kit actually, was liter trained, was very cuddly and
kind, and needed one on one attention).  "Is he very special?" asked
Sean.  The shelter people assured him that Rocky was indeed, very
special.  They told us about his awful start in life, how he overcame
many obstacles, and how he had special needs also.  Sean took Rocky into
his arms, and as I toured the shelter and visited, I watched Sean on the
floor with Rocky.  No other ferret in that room existed to him.  And
Rocky followed Sean around, staying right on his heels.  I had never seen
a ferret do that (become immediately attracted to someone).  We spent
hours there, making sure the match was right.  But Sean and Rocky knew
the match was right as soon as they set eyes on each other.

I'll never forget that day.  There was something in the air that day,
that I cannot describe.  I know it sounds corny, but it's very true.
When I spoke to the shelter initially, I was left with such a great
impression.  I felt so warm speaking with them.  After I told them all
about Sean and his autism, they were excited to tell me that they had a
perfect match in mind.  Oh and he sounded ever so perfect.  But if he
was not, there were many other ferrets to choose from there.  Scott's
boss was very generous that day and loaned him his new Bonneville to make
our journey.  On top of that two close friends came along to share our
experience.  They even ended up adopting their first ferret.  Everything
seemed to just click right into place.  Sean's reaction to the shelter
was far out of the ordinary for him.  He was oblivious to the smell,
the disarray, the newness of everything for an autistic person.  He was
very outgoing, spontaneous, and he just beamed.  When I saw Rocky, I
just knew ... I just knew he was the one for Sean.  Nothing went wrong
that entire day.

Rocky sat on Sean's lap for the whole two hour ride home.  I'll never
forget how that little boy reacted that day.  I'll never forget how Rocky
sat there with chocolate freckles and huge, coal-black, eyes innocently
looking up at Sean the whole way home.  And we have been fortunate enough
to watch this little love story ... ever since.

Wolfy
Check out Sean and Rockys's special valentine's day on my site,
Wolfy's site has MOVED to:
http://wolfysluv.jacksnet.com/