From:
Lynn Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2000 07:39:54 -0500
I'm so glad to see that more people take & are interested in taking their
ferrets outside for play time.  I had wanted to take my guys outside but
had miserable lack of success with the leashes.  Since I have birds I have
a lot of extra cage wire around so took some & made a big circle with it.
This stuff is only 2 feet high so I do have to be right there to watch
them.

They just love to be out!  My vet thinks that one reason our (US) ferrets
have so many problems is that we keep them different over here than on
other parts of the world, like mainly indoors.  The first time I saw how
happy they were to be out I made up my mind to give them an outdoor play
area.  Due to health problems it is slow going but I have the frame work
done thanks to my daughters boyfriend & finally got the concrete poured for
the base.  I used Quickcrete so I didn't have to pay alot.  I now have to
put up the wire.  Then will haul in sand to have piles of it for them to
dig in.  I was going to just put the sand directly on the concrete but
think I will buy a couple of kiddie wading pools & put the dirt in that &
have little ramps for them to go in & out.  That way the dirt won't be all
over the place.

Once I am done I plan on letting them outside unsupervised for most of the
day.  Oops didn't mean it that way.  I will of course keep a check on them
to make sure they are ok.  I meant I won't be right there the whole time
they are out.

Now when they go out I take them out in groups in a carrier.  I set the
carrier inside the wire circle & as they get tired of digging & running
around they go into the carrier letting me know they are ready to go back
inside.  So their new play area will have lots of sleeping places for them.

For all of you people that keep your fuzzies outside most of the time I
have some questions.  I am in FL, which means that when summer gets here
it is going to be hot out there.  They will have a little shallow pool all
their own with water, plus water bowls.  The play area is more or less
under a oak tree for shade & there will be a solid cover over part of the
area also for shade.  At what temps do your ferrets stay outside?  We will
probably get into the high 90's at least this summer & have heavy humidity.
I know in some areas of the world they have temps somewhat like ours so
will they be at risk out there for a few hours or should I bring them right
in when they are done playing?  How do your fuzzies handle the heat if you
have them outside in summer?  Also what do you do about ants getting into
their food when they are outside?  Ants are bad here & I know I should keep
some food out there for the kids.  Could people in other parts of the world
tell me how you keep them outside?  Housing & so on?  I know some keep them
outside in the cold weather to so at what temps do they stay there or does
it matter?

I want the best for my kids & feel that having them outside for at least a
good part of the day will benefit them but want to be aware of all things,
pros & cons.  Could you tell us not only about their housing but their diet
as well?  In corresponding with someone in the UK I found out that when
they can run & dig in the dirt it helps keep the nails trimmed.  Someone
else told me that in Germany it is fairly common to feed ferrets a diet
of fruits & vegetables?  No, mine will stay on their diet but I am just
curious.

Lynn & the Merry Band of Gypsies