From:
"Sheri M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 08:45:20 -0600
immediately . . . I advise that you harness up a trustworthy ferret and go
for a visit.  Talk to the shelter about how many ferrets that come their
way each year, and offer to be their "ferret contact."  Let them know that
you know all about ferret care, and have a wonderful network already in
place for finding homes for ferrets, and that you would be more than
willing to take any unwanted ferrets off their hands rather than see
ferrets euthanized for no good reason.

If possible, bring along the 98 Rabies Compendium and statistics about
rabies and ferrets (particularly the ones that prove that ferrets do not
transmit rabies to people or other animals).  Let them make up a contract,
if they like, that absolves them of all responsibility to any ferrets that
they relinquish to you.

Sometimes when things bother you, you have to be the one to effect change
in policy.  In this case, it might mean taking on some unwanted ferrets and
"sheltering" so to speak.

If you are in CA, it might not be legal to offer yourself as a shelter, and
don't bring your own fuzzy with you--bring the phone number for CDFA
instead--and get CDFA's permission to offer them as a ferret contact.
Give it your best effort, and perhaps you can save the life of a fuzzie, or
of many fuzzies.

MaggieMae!--shame on you for alluding to my secret thoughts--LOL!
MaggieMae!--shame on you for alluding to my secret thoughts--LOL!

re: selling ferrets at shows or not . . . I have a feeling that many people
looking to add to their fuzzy groups are likely to hold out for a
show--where they can meet a variety of ferrets in one setting and spend some
quality time meeting and seleting a new ferret that might be compatible with
their existing group.  Just a thought.  I'm not for or against either
option.  But the Canadian breeder had a good point--she travels a great
distance to some shows, and if she only brought a photo album, then she'd
have to ship ferrets to new owners in some cases, and might not feel
comfortable doing that.  Or lose out on sales that might have resulted in a
wider the gene pool in the future.

Enough out of me.  Happy ferreting!

--Sheri