From:
"Sheri M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 10:19:37 -0600
Hi all--

While I agree that all animals have the potential to bite, I cannot agree
that all ferrets bite.  Almost any animal will bite when it's in pain
because that's it's instinctual response.

It is the animal owner's responsibility to know well the temperament of any
animal he/she brings out in public--and to always err on the side of
caution.

For the most part, I let people see my ferrets faces, let them pet their
heads, etc.  but only with the ferrets I completely trust not to bite hands.
When I bring a ferret out for the first time, I *do* indeed offer their
backs for petting, rather than their heads.  I have one ferret who doesn't
trust everyone, and I only bring him out on specific errands where he won't
be overwhelmed with public curiosity.  When I've had him out, he's very
good.  He's also a known face biter, and tho' I thought he was cured, I got
a nasty bite on my nostril just the other day because I was careless and put
my face near his when he was angry with me (I was putting him back in his
cage when he wasn't ready to go to bed yet).  I will not bring him on
purpose to places where a lot of children will be interested in him--I can
warn adults "keep your face away from him" but children sometiemes don't
listen or forget what they are told when they are excited.

I am very careful to keep all ferret faces away from people faces when we're
out in public.  I do not let strangers hold my ferrets.  I explain politely
that I don't let *anyone* hold the ferrets because they may get stressed
when suddenly there is no familar scent near them for comfort.  My ferrets
love their outings, but I've noticed that they stay very close to me, and
sometimes they do get overwhelmed and crawl into their bag for awhile to
hide and rest.  They also are much more snuggly and attached to me when
we're out than when we're at home.  I'm familiar.  In a big interesting
world, they always know I'm right there when they need to touch base with
something familiar.

Know your ferrets!  With every new addition, I play and roughhouse and try
to make them bite me because I want to know how *hard* they bite.  My Uno is
very sweet and only bites in play--but he bites HARD and it HURTS.  It's
important for me to know this.

My Pepper never, ever bites hard, but he finds people noses to be
irresistable--and even though he doesn't bite hard, the nose is tender, and
it HURTS.  I keep him away from noses when we're out in public.

My Mort has always had a strong penhant for toes, and only toes, so in the
summer I watch all sandeled feet very carefully--because he might just
suprise someone.  Other than that, he is, so far, completely trustworthy.

Princess is definitely the gentlest ferret alive in this world.  (Okay, I'm
sure some of you know that YOURS is the gentlest ferret in the world, so I
won't argue) and she NEVER NEVER bites.  NEVER.  Not in play, not when she's
annoyed, NOT EVER.  This is the one case where I've never got a ferret to
bite me, even just to find out how hard she'll bite.  She will not.  I've
wrestled with her and a plastic bag, I've rolled her around on the floor and
got her to attack me with open mouth--and as soon as she reaches me, her
mouth closes.  I have never been able to induce her to bite, even in play.
I let my 6 year old niece carry her around on her shoulder, right next to
her face, without a cringing.  This ferret will not even bite the other
ferrets in play.  She's completely sweet.  If someone were squeezing the
life out of her, would she bite?  Even with her history, I bet she would.
Is it going to happen?  Not in my lifetime, if I can help it.

I brought all 5 ferrets to the vet for vaccinations.  I was pleased that not
one of my 5 (including my unpredictable one) even attempted to bite her.
They're good ferrets.  I know them all well.  And yes, I held the
unpredictable one a little more firmly than the others.

Not all ferrets bite.  But every animal has the potential to bite, and it's
up to the owner to always act in a responsible manner, and this includes not
taking more animals out in public than one can conceivably keep an eye on.
And an unpredictable animal should never be put into a stressful public
situation on purpose.  That's asking for trouble.

There's my 10 cents.

--Sheri