From:
Daniel LaForce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 1996 22:52:55 -0000
>This is my first post.  I have two wonderful ferrets and am wondering about
>the care my sick ferret (Abby) may recieve.  The vet thinks she has
>insulinoma.... I have some reservations about my vet and want to get Abby
>the best treatment I can.

I would recommend going to a ferret aware vet.  Most vets aren't ferret
aware and a lot of the time can't treat ferrets for major diseases.  I have
a feeling she is in the beginning stages and within another day or 2 she
will be worse.  She will probably lose lots of weight so I would recommend
giving your ferret food full of calories, and force feed her as much as she
will eat.  My ferret had many of the same symptoms except her glucose was
VERY high, about twice of normal levels.  Where do you live, I can give you
a list of vets in your area provided by Pam Grant.  DON'T LEAVE YOUR FERRET
IN THE HANDS OF YOUR VET.  You need a vet experienced with ferrets.  But you
need to hurry and treat your ferret now before its too late.  My ferret died
within about 3 days of these symptons, sorry to scare you but I don't want
anything to happen to your ferret as well.  Your ferret may not have
anything like my ferret had, my vet couldn't tell me what was wrong other
then her liver was destroyed.

PLEASE WRITE BACK AS SOON AS YOU SEE THIS MESSAGE!
Dan