From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 1996 21:14:13 -0500
Mark Zmyewski:
> ... and have brushed both ferrets' teeth a few times.

Gad - I'm glad you aren't owned by Monster!!!  She's got gum disease, and I
have some vet stuff (Oral Cleansing Gel by Maxi Guard); one drop above each
canine each day - took 3 minutes the first day, 10 the second, 20 the third.
Now we're down to 30sec.  She _HATES_ it, but I'd like to see her keep her
teeth.  But brushing??  I'd have to have a death wish! <G>

Scruffing:
Monster will absolutely not tolerate scruffing.  Don't know why, neither the
vet or I have managed it - she goes wacko, biting, hissing, twisting, etc.
So, I pick her up under the belly (thumb and index finger on either side on
her), hold her about 1' from my face and shout _NO_.  Then 10 min downtime
with a towel drapped over the 'viewing' side of the cage.  Not always
effective, but better than nothing.

Biting:
I wear a glove - she's been allowed to bite all her life, and had a
difficult time adjusting to moving in with me.  Given that, I let her
continue rather than make too many changes - she only knows biting and
chasing (ferret tag <G>) for play.  She only bites in play, and is only
allowed to bite the glove.  I did decide my feet were off limits!

>(Biojoke: Roseanne Barr...Barr Bodies...absent in XY females?  Ok, I won't
>do it again).
Thought I'd left sad science jokes behind after Gr. 13 physics - Uuugghhh!

Megan and Monster

                      **************
Good, she's gone for a minute.  I'll sneak this in, 'cause I'm not allowed
on the desk!  Don't tell.

Switch:
I'll try that route to the cupboards if Megan ever leaves a chair in the
kitchen!  She's not very neat (always great for an obstacle course around
here!), but seems to realize I will climb, even though I can't jump!

Sucky things and brooms:
No big sucky things around here!  Only one little one, but I tried to find
out why it was so noisy, and Megan won't let me out to play with it when it
comes out of it's cage anymore <sigh>.  She does let me play tag with the
broom though - I chase the broom, then the broom chases me, then I chase it!
It's almost as much fun as when I play tag with her!  She hides around the
corner, but I always find her!

Monster