From:
Patricia Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 1996 23:01:09 -0600
Boy, the requests in the FML for vets in a given area are rapidly
increasing.  I try to help those searching, but I just can't keep up with
all of it, and answer other questions, and keep the shelter running
smoothly.

So I thought I might just post the method I use for locating good ferret
vets across the US and other places as well.  Pam Grant of STAR*Ferrets has
an excellent database available to anyone.  You can send a request to
[log in to unmask] and in the body of the message write
     AFD ADD FERRET DATABASE  and it will be sent to you.  Or go to
www.optics.rochester.edu:8080/users/pgreene/for-others/database.html

[Moderator's note: Thanks for the reminder.  A couple of minor corrections
though.  The address is [log in to unmask] (i.e. no "e" at the end of
listserv).  The body of the mail should read SEND FERRET DATABASE
If you use the AFD ADD FERRET DATABASE line, then you will get it anytime
it *changes* but not initially.  BIG]

The list contains clubs, shelters, vets, contacts, breeders, catalogs and
products related to ferrets.  Okay now comes the part where you use your
head and do a little detective work.  You can check the list of vets but you
can never know for sure how competenta particular one is, as they cannot
possibly be checked out before they are added to the list, because there are
so many.  The best way to find a good one is to contact a ferret shelter or
club in the area and call them and simply ask them for a recommendation.
The vet is the greatest asset to a shelter and they MUST have a good one.

There is also a list of shelters in Deborah Jean's book, "A Practical Guide
to Ferret Care'.  This book is a MUST for any ferret owner.  Most of the
questions asked on the FML are answered in this book.

May I also suggest that people new to ferrets (and anyone who hasn't read it
for that matter), order the ferret FAQ's and the medical FAQ's and READ
THEM.  Again, most questions people ask here, are answered in these FREE
FAQ's.

Please check out all this great free info., I beg of you.  My desk looks
like a hurricane went through here ..strike that, it looks like a ferret
went through here, my computer is crying for a break, my fingers are very
sore, and I gotta get a more comfortable office chair.

But it's okay, you can still e-mail me if you have trouble finding the info
I mentioned.  ---  Trish