Date:
Sun, 30 Jun 2002 23:21:07 -0700
Sandee,

I know you have a lot of connections there at the Bridge.  And while
ferrets normally don't associate with raccoons, maybe you could relay
a message.

Around 10pm my friend Nori and I were in front of my house watching a
family of raccoons trying to cross the street.  There was a very large
momma and 2 smaller ones (one fairly young).  They were so adorable and
such a sight to behold.

The traffic wasn't very busy at the time, but we called out for them to be
careful.  A few cars started to come up and carefully, and slowly, made
their was around the family.  They were almost across when another car
came down the road.  Sandee, I'm certain the driver could see them.
Momma was quite large.  There was plenty of time to slow down or veer
around them.  We watched in horror as the driver veered straight into
them.  It was a sickening sight to watch them under the car and hear
them screaming.  The car just kept on going.  I wanted to throw something
at the damn car.  I couldn't even get the license number.  We felt so
damned helpless.

Momma and the larger child lay near the sidewalk writhing.  The smallest
had found his way into the bushes.  By the time I found the number for
the wildlife rescue, it was too late.  Momma and child had died.

We could hear the smallest in the bushes chattering, calling for them.
We were afraid he would go out into the street again to look for them.
I grabbed a shovel and as gingerly and respectfully as I could picked
up momma and child and placed them in the bushes near the street so the
child could say his last goodbyes.  Soon after Nori and I went back
across, we watched with tears in our eyes as the smallest came to pay
respects.  The smallest appeared unscathed.

Please let momma raccoon and her child know how truly sorry we are that
there was nothing we could do.  Please let her know that not all humans
are careless and heartless like the one who took their lifes.  Some of
us really do give a damn about all critters . . . . .

Kevin B and the Way Kewl Kritter Crew
~Lacey~Sprite~Cuddles~Java~Miss Priss~Cinna~Racer~Patch~
~Mocha~Nikki~Selene~Skooter~Tootsie~Peabody~Sierra~Elway~Sacramento~
 Mist the Fer-Kat, Fosters ~Stubbie~King~, and a rainbow of Guardian
 Fur-Angels.