From:
"Dr. Gary Holowicki" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 1995 02:05:29 -0700
>6/24/95 Timmy's recipe recall of ingredient:

    In a Recent conversation with Dr.  Tom Willard of Totally Ferret, he
stated that long term administration of "desiccated" or low temperature
dried liver can leave some sterols (not steroids) in an active state that
could have negative effects over time.  This is not the case with cooked
liver as he adds to Totally Ferret, and the Kal Kan Whiskas Kit Nips
contain.  Liver has been viewed by some DVMs' as containing yet to be
identified specific essentials for optimum ferret health, thus a necessary
part of an optimum diet.

    Since I now feed the recipe to all my crew of eight an a daily basis, I
want to take a conservative stance while still providing optimum nutrition.
I also have omitted ingredients that are costly for a non critical or
maintenance condition, such as the Immuplex and KMR.  Also omitted is the
Deliver 2.0 high caloric suppliment as his weight is quite satisfactory.

    Timmy is very bright of eye and attention, playing energetically with
the other fuzzies, his coat is clear and deep of color, and soft and full.
In short, he has never looked or behaved better.  He still likes to be held
while he eats the recipe, and will while being held will eat twice what he
will on his own, and free eats the Whiskas Kit Nips.  He and a couple of
others have some enlargement of lymph nodes under the front arms, so a
couple of weeks ago I added garlic to the food, then switched to Kyolic
brand liquid garlic as his breath was something to behold!  The liquid
garlic is aged like sherry for some 2 years, so is much less pungent.  I
have avoided Rx antibiotics thru its' use myself, and it will knock down a
sore throat in 24 hrs.

    So here is the current recipe that I multiply by five for my eight furry
kids.  I reserve about 3.5 oz.  for Timmy's morning meal in the
refrigerator., and usually feed everyone in the late evening & let them all
play for a couple of hours until tired.  I'm using turkey rice rather than
chicken vegetable as though they will eat either, I have read of several
cases of allergies being developed to chicken.  I feel that the reports of
contamination common in chicken processing and the over use of drugs in the
industry.  can trigger allergic reactions over time.  Over exposure of many
items have been found to trigger allergic reactions in humans.

    There is much debate and experimentation on the subject of what to feed
and what to eat ourselves.  I view this as good, and a sign that we are
using more intellegence than perhaps previous generations in choosing our
diet.  Watching for positive and negative effects if/as you change diet will
give valuable feedback for future reevaluation.  I hope the knowledge gained
thru Timmy's experience and recovery from his "terminal" lymphoma may be of
benefit to other little fuzzies.  There is nothing more rewarding than
watching a recovery from deaths' door, and the returning of joyful pooks!

Respectfully,  Gary Holowicki
75464,741;  [log in to unmask], 800-209-1071

Timmy's recipe, 6/24/95

1 jar Gerber Turkey Rice baby food
3 cc PWS 2000 herbal tonic.... (contact me for info., source of 38 herbs &
fruit extracts)
1/2 tsp. clover honey
1/4 tsp. Kyolic brand liquid garlic
1/2 tsp. Ferretone
1cc Pet Tinic liquid vitamins
1/2 tsp. Lewis Labs Brewers' yeast.. (best tasting brand I've found)
50 mg. Vit. C
6 - 10 mg. CoQ 10.. (hard to measure such a small ammount)
1 tsp.   reverse osmosis purified, distilled or Everpure filtered water