From:
Ferrets First Rescue & Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 23:12:59 EST
I agree that at first glance the contradictions seem confusing.  Please
information was clearly based upon the ferrets' unique digestive system,
which I described in some detail.  Based upon the research I have done in
several veterinary texts, personal interviews with vets who treat ferrets
and strive to stay abreast of new information on ferrets as it becomes
available, as well as interviews with noted nutrition experts=85I stand
behind every word=20I wrote.

Now to address the concerns about the presumed contradiction
Jerry Murray stated:

>"The problem with rice is after it is consumed it raises blood glucose
>levels.  This higher glucose level after a meal will stimulate the pancreas
>to release insulin to lower the glucose level.  This overstimulation of the
>pancreas (to produce insulin) may be what is causing insulinomas."

The pancreas is designed to release insulin after a meal.  That is how
the body works.  It is a part of the digestion process.  I have seen no
research that indicates rice raises glucose levels more so than corn, but
suspect that if that's true it's because rice is more easily digested, and
likely digested or metabolized faster than corn.  Corn takes longer to
break down.  Why do you think rice is so often used in babyfoods -- it's
easier for babies to process than corn.  I have also seen good results here
with ferrets who have digestive problems that I have to make a special
"soup" for, using rice cereal (for babies) as part of the mix.

If corn takes longer to break down, ferrets are likely getting no
benefit from it.  With rice, perhaps they are getting more benefit and
carbohydrates are necessary.  Another important fact about corn is it has
been known to cause allergic reactions in a percentage of humans for years.
Some ferrets that have been offered treats containing corn gluten meal will
suffer bouts of diarrhea until the treat is removed and the digestive tract
"calms down" again.

Jerry Murray stated:
>When you compare the carbohydrate sources- rice causes the most increase
>in glucose and the highest insulin response, corn produces less glucose and
>less of an insulin response than rice.  Sorghum produces the least glucose
>and even less insulin response than rice or corn."

Has this been proven in ferrets?  Much of the information on how petfoods
and their ingredients are used by the body, even that found in veterinary
text books, is based upon research in dogs and cats.  Ferrets do not use
foods the same because of the differences in their digestive systems (see
my post in Issue 3004).

Also remember, that cats and dogs may only eat a few times a day.  Dogs
as a rule, are only fed twice a day.  Cat owners may provide food for
"snacking" throughout the day or they may not.  Ferrets however, must
consume food more frequently than cats or dogs, preferably every two to
three hours.  Therefore, their consumption of the animal proteins and other
ingredients raise the blood sugar too, and hopefully keep it at a fairly
even level if the food provided is properly balanced and nutritious for
ferrets.

In a lab, the information Murray provides may prove to be technically
correct, but in practical application to the ferrets' metabolism there are
likely different results.  Only an expert in the field who has compared the
levels of insulin in a ferrets' blood after consuming corn, then rice, then
sorghum, etc., can tell us for sure that one causes higher insulin levels
than another.

Jerry Murray stated:
>So using corn and sorghum instead of rice is great news for ferrets with
>insulinomas, and it may prevent non-insulinoma ferrets from developing
>insulinomas in the future.

To my knowledge, it has not been established that insulinomas can be
"caused" by diet.  Far more research must be done on the subject before we
jump to that conclusion.  However, I do strongly urge people to not offer
ferrets sugary treats as these definitely make the pancreas work harder.
(I have done extensive research on the pancreas due to my family's history
of diabetes and low-blood-sugar <hypoglycemia> so I have learned a bit
about the pancreas and about insulin and the way the body uses "sugars"
both those from carbohydrates and added sugars.)

Quite honestly, we could debate corn vs. other grains for years to come
and still our ferrets be none the better for it.  I have discovered that
the best way to know which product is best in the end is to find the person
or company most dedicated to putting the best possible product on the
market targeted for a specific need.  Verify that this person or company is
devoted to gaining the most accurate facts and knowledge of the field and
to keeping up with new discoveries and advances in the field, testing
products again and again until the best possible product has been
developed, and verify that this is a person/company of integrity.  Talk
with them, question them until you are satisfied they are truly as
dedicated as you are to providing the best=85then, once that person/company
is found rely upon their expertise and their education and experience
instead of trying to sort through the endless stream of information that
can be found on almost any subject these days.  Trust them to make the best
choices=85buy their product, and don't worry yourself with details.  If
questions arise later, make a phone call to find out the answers you need
directly from the source, but don't drive yourself crazy over details that
the person or company has long ago taken into consideration and dealt with
appropriately.

I don't know of a single ferret owner who has ever tried Totally Ferret who
has not been happy with the results.  Here at the shelter, I have proof
that it saves lives.  The food has been proven and tested on ferrets beyond
what has been done in any other company with any other food.  Dr. Willard's
credentials are impressive, his dedication to ferrets has been proven for
years.  The results shelters have seen especially, with Totally Ferret are
beyond compare.  Why "fool around" with other foods that you have to
question and scrutinize?  Why gamble on what P&G is going to do next, or
what adverse affects your kids may suffer before you catch a significant
change?  I hope you consider these questions carefully, your ferret's
health is at stake here.

One last comment on Insulinoma because I know so many of you are worried
about this=85I have tried over 20 different foods over the years on
ferrets, there is nothing that even comes close to helping a ferret with
Insulinoma remain stable and healthy=85except for Totally Ferret.  I am not
saying ferrets on TF will not have ups and downs with their Insulinoma, but
the ups and downs in many here have diminished drastically on this food,
with some, they no longer have episodes at all.  In my opinion and
experience, there is no better diet available for ferrets with Insulinoma
than TF.  I apologize for sounding like a commercial, I have just seen
astounding results with this food and I can't sit idly by and see other
ferrets suffer who could be helped if they were on it.

Kisses to the fuzzies,
Trish
Director, Ferrets First Rescue & Shelter