Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 07:58:12 EDT
You can read all this information at our website also,
www.hofa-rescue.org/rescue2.htm
is their page.

These poor ferrets were all loaded into a single small cat carrier, with
no food or water, put into a car with no air conditioning, and driven ann
hour across the state of Ohio, in rush-hour traffic, to be dumped at a
local Petland, who contacted HOFA for assistance.  Since this is my side
of town, I was notified of the situation by one of our HOFA reps Kay, who
was contacted by one of their employees.  I had just finished cleaning
ferret cages and litter boxes, and had not yet showered, but, when duty
calls, it is often not convenient and not pretty.  So, I changed my shirt,
and off I went to get them.

The store employee (also a loving ferret owner herself) described how
these guys were all six packed into a small carrier and transported,
covered in fleas, here to Columbus from Chillicothe.  She bathed them and
tried to remove the fleas as best she could and segregated the one (Faygo)
who was beating up the others badly.  She gave them water which was badly
needed after that awful trip, they were panting and to the point of almost
having heat stroke.  Three appear to be adrenal, unless it is alopecia, a
hair loss condition which may be due to allergies to fleas.  However, two
are so badly naked I am leaning more toward the possibility of adrenal.
I tested each one for ADV on the spot, they were all negative, so I then
packed them into my three carriers and drove them home.  Despite their
obvious neglect and trauma, they are very affectionate and gentle with
people.  I am always amazed at the strength and spirit of these little
creatures.  I gave each one some Front-line as they still had a few fleas
on them, put the five together in one big cage, and the one into his own
cage, and gave them food and water.  They are segregated for now from the
other ferrets, in a room with no other ferrets in our finished basement.
Until they are current on vaccines and past their quarantine period of
ten days minimum.

Since they are a six-pack, I named them after things that come in 6-packs,
(their owner didn't leave names for them or any vet info)

There are Bud, and Pepsi, two albinos who are the worst off, Bud is the
worst, and also has a large tumor on his shoulder.  Then Miller, a sweet
dark silver mitt/black mitt, also showing adrenal symptoms.  One of the
albinos has no tattoos, the others are Marshall.

Faygo, another black mitt, who appears to be very healthy.  He has no
tattoos.  Samuel, a chocolate, in apparent good health, also a Marshall
farms.

Then there is Mt. Dew, he is a DEW so I hope you'll forgive the pun.

I was up very late last night putting their website together, and by the
time I was done it was too late to post to the next issue of the FML, so
you're getting this a day late from their arrival.  We are asking for any
donations you are able or willing to give towards their vet bills.  You
can send it directly to our vet, DR.  Dan Beer of Care Pet Clinic, or to
Kim Wolf or to HOFA.  They are staying with me (Kim W.) for the duration.
Since we are also an SOS shelter list member, you can also send your
donations to them and they will forward to us.  Or you can donate thru
paypal, to
that is a rescue only account.  As with Siggy's surgery a couple years
back, anyone sending $10 or more gets a cool summer ferret hammock for
their generosity.  I have a ton of fabric here, and many of your fellow
FMLers are my customers and can testify to the quality of our hammies.

I have to go now, we will soon be going to the vet and the kids have to be
prepared.  PLEASE keep them in your prayers!!!

Kim Wolf
Mystyx Arctic Breed Canine,
and Ferret Rescue of Galloway, Ohio
www.mystyxcritters.com