From:
Paige Townsend <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 19:57:21 -0700
I have a new boy staying at my house for a while...

He is the newest of the rescues for the Ferret Aid Society.  Earlier today
Randy received a call from a person wanting to surrender an older ferret to
FAS, apparently this ferret had not eaten for the last few days, his poops
were a small amount of slime (if any), he was grinding his teeth, pawing
his mouth and biting anyone who got near to him.

Needless to say pickup was arranged and "Knuckles" was brought to our vet.
Knuckles was dehydrated, very emaciated, showing signs of ulcers and has
the worst dental hygiene that I have ever seen in a ferret.  He was given
sub-q to revive him and on sulcrafate to help the ulcers.  He is now at
my house being goo'ed every couple hours to regain weight and hopefully
stabalize him.  However, I need suggestions to help me get him over then
next few days while I'm trying to put some weight on him....

I believe the underlining cause of all of Knuckle's problems are his teeth.
When you look at his mouth, his gums are bleeding and his teeth look like
hard pieces of blue cheese (very gross) and you can smell his breath from
a room away.  Obviously he will need to have some major dental surgery to
correct the problem and give the boy a hope for the future, but right now
he is too weak to consider this option.  Does anyone have any suggestions
to help Knuckle's mouth not hurt as much while I put weight on him and FAS
starts to raise money for his surgery?

I have never dealt with rotten teeth before, so any suggestions would be
greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much,
Paige Townsend

Ferret Aid Society