From:
Elizabeth Jurik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 08:57:36 -0500

From my experience, I have always told the landlord that I have ferrets.  I
tell them that the ferrets are in their cage most of the time (and would be
in the cage when I am not home so that if maintenance came in they wouldn't
have to worry about them being loose underfoot.) Granted, they still want
me to pay a full cat or dog deposit.  In one apartment, they didn't know
what a ferret was, let alone anything about them.  We came to an agreement
that I would let management view the apartment one month after I moved in
to let them see that the ferrets were not doing any damage.  If no damage
was found, the apartment would waive the pet deposit.  (My fuzzies don't
chew on wood or cords, thank God.) It was nice that they were willing to
compromise with me on that.  Maybe you could work out an arrangement with
them...

Good Luck!