From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 21:09:08 -0400
Stephanie, I had good luck looking for an apartment near Baltimore two
years ago.  To begin the search, I picked up one of the free apartment
guides that list (among other things) apartments that allow pets.  Happily,
at least half of the apartment complexes accepted pets (almost always with
a pet deposit and a monthly pet fee of around $35 or $40).  I know that
sounds a little pricey, but at least it's better than not allowing animals
at all.  I was very straightforward with the managers and explained that
I had two ferrets who have a cage but get free roam of the apartment most
of the time.  Some of the managers didn't know what a ferret was until I
explained it to them, but none of them turned me away.  One of them offered
to reduce the pet fee.  I eventually ended up in a complex where a good
eighty percent of the residents own dogs.  I guess my ferrets seemed so
tiny and innocent-looking in comparison that my apartment managers entirely
waived the pet deposit and monthly fee.  It's a good thing that the
apartment was unfurnished... little do they know that my couch has been
gutted from the inside! :o)

So don't feel that you need to defend your fuzzies.  It seems that Maryland
landlords are pretty accepting of ferrets.  I don't know if the situation
is different when renting a house.  I'm guessing, though, that if you can
find a house rental ad that says pets are welcome, you can take them at
their word.

Best of luck!